Wireless Keyboard and Mouse with iMac purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coca-Cola, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I just bought a new iMac 20" with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Upon receiving the package will I be able to use my iMac? Or will I need to have a wired mouse and keyboard in order to start up my iMac?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

You'll get the wired ones as well. I had to set up the machine with the wired keyboard then pair the bluetooth models when it was done.

You'll need to hang on to the wired keyboard & mouse as the bluetooth keyboard doesn't let you boot into single-user mode

3. Coca-Cola thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure?

Are you sure? It only cost 20 dollars for the mouse upgrade and 20 dollars for the keyboard upgrade. That seems to cheap. I can't imagine they will throw in the wired keyboard and mouse.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep, that's how it's always worked. I know it seems odd, but until they find a way for the Mac to support bluetooth BEFORE OS X has loaded, you'll need a wired keyboard to set up the wireless models, install OS X, boot into single user mode, boot into target disk mode or boot from a CD.

5. CBX macrumors regular

I also just brought a 20" Wireless iMac from the Apple shop, there was NO wired keyboard included - it was all packaged as a wireless configured box.

The SetUp Assistant finds the wireless keyboard and mouse on setup.

6. teiresias macrumors regular

Well, it certainly doesn't work like that anymore. I got my 24" Alum iMac with the wireless combo and it only came with the wireless kb/ms. It goes through detecting the two devices upon initial startup.