Wireless Keyboard eating batteries

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lumpydog, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

My wireless keyboard suddenly eats batteries (the small one that apple makes with no numeric keypad on the right). Started happening about a month ago - goes through about a set of batteries a week. On my third set of batteries in as many weeks. Used to last months...

Since the 10.6.2 update or when I added the magic mouse. Not sure which.

See: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2230866&tstart=0

2. Lumpydog thread starter macrumors 6502

7 days later and my keyboard needs another three AA batteries.

10.6.2 hosed something in the keyboard's sleep management.

Come on Apple....

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call Apple about it; they may send you a replacement keyboard that only uses two batteries.

I would also try either Lithium batteries for longer life or rechargeable batteries for lower long-term cost.

4. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I gave up with wireless keyboards and mice years ago, just ate batteries and I deemed them just a gimmick.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Did you just get a cat that walks on your keyboard? I no longer do batteries either.

6. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Mine started eating batteries a few weeks ago. A fresh set would last me about 3 - 4 days. I ordered a new keyboard (2 batteries) with the same results.

I am thinking this started right around 10.6.2. Glad to hear that I am not the only one :) BTW, I also added a Magic Mouse right around 10.6.2.

7. Lumpydog thread starter macrumors 6502

7 days, three more batteries gone.

I have not called Apple yet - the keyboard is over a year old. I doubt they will send me a new one.

8. Lumpydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved...

I went back to my wireless Mighty Mouse. The batteries on my wireless keyboard are back to lasting months instead of a week.

I'm pissed about it - for two reasons - 1) Apple took something of mine and broke it - because I tried to buy and use a new product from them. 2) The Magic Mouse sucked ass anyway. No squeeze to Expose and no middle click to dashboard.

Apple Fail

9. praetorian909 macrumors regular

Just to keep this thread up-to-date, Apple just released firmware update 1.0 for the newer 2009 Wireless keyboards on 2/10/2010.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=863057

Hopefully this fixes the battery draining for these too. I just installed it so I haven't had a chance to see if it worked...

10. craighton macrumors member

craighton

Quick Side note, when you aren't using the keyboard for an extended period of time turn it off so the bluetooth isn't always searching for a source

11. Buzz Bumble Guest

You shouldn't let your keyboard eat batteries - the acid is bad for their insides. Instead go down to ComputerWorld and buy a pack of Keybble and your pet keyboard will be much happier. ;)

12. grue macrumors 65816

Shortest book ever written:

Mice made by Apple that aren't complete crap.

0 pages.

13. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

rechargable batteries

NUFF SAID. I use them and i love it. The high end operation of Apple products will always use batteries faster than most but i am ok with that in order to get the top end performance. Anyway. I have 6 energizer rechargable batteries and i have a wireless keyboard and magicmouse so when one dies i have another set so i can just throw the dead batteries on the charger. Get a charger that fully removes all charge then recharges the batteries. It is good for the batteries.

14. Shademaster macrumors member

LOL

I just installed a keyboard firmware upgrade last week and the problem seems to be gone. I put some almost flat batteries inside and it is still functioning.