Wireless Keyboard - F4 LaunchPad key?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iOrbit, Jun 26, 2012.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

can anyone here who owns a wireless apple keyboard, list their model of the keyboard and wether or not it has the LaunchPad function F4 key? i'm looking to buy a used apple wireless keyboard on ebay and i'm trying to get the updated one for Lion. its hard to tell in ebay pictures if its the right one or not. (A lot of photo of the keyboard are too low quality and small to see)

thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple Wireless Keyboard with Lion keys is model MC184LL/B. You can find the model number of any current Apple product by adding it to your cart at the Apple Store, then viewing the contents of the cart.

Here's a summary of the changes to the keyboard: Apple Keyboard (2011): New key placement and functionality

3. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

are you sure theres only one model with the lion keys though? i was thinking it might have more than one model number in different countries. for example, i'v seen lion ones vary on ebay.

this seller lists his apple keyboard as MC184Z/B MC184ZB, and in the photo it a lion version.

:confused:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's entirely possible. What country or language do you prefer?

5. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm in the UK, i'm after an english keyboard, but as you may know, the uk keyboard is just slightly different to the u.s. version

do you know if the older keyboards work with lion and can have the function keys mapped accordingly? (the snowleopard - spaces/expose version)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The UK keyboard is MC184Z/B.
    I know the newer (Lion) keyboards will work with SL, but I don't know if the reverse is true.
    OS X Lion: About wired and wireless keyboards

7. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks GG, i'll ask the ebayers what model they are selling if they don't already list the model.

my intuition tells me they will work with lion in reverse. its just a keyboard with function keys that are still mapped as F1/2/3/4/. if it Doesn't work, then that is terrible money-grabbing by apple.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

I can tell you that the Dashboard key on the older keyboard will open the dashboard, NOT the launch pad.
    I'm not sure how hard it would be to change that behavior though. But I believe you would need a third party tool to remap the key.