Wireless Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, May 25, 2010.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

I have an iMac and have used a wireless keyboard without problems. When the batteries died, I just changed them and everything was fine.

Now, the green light blinks three times in succession and BlueTooth no longer recognizes my keyboard. I try to re-pair it and my old keyboard name is still in there. It gives me a KEY to type in but nowhere to type it. Eventually I get a message that the pairing was unsuccessful.

I tried doing searches on how to remedy this but couldn't find anyone with any answers other than "Bluetooth isn't always reliable. Get a wired keyboard." Well, I have a USB keyboard but the cord isn't long enough. I miss the freedom of my wireless keyboard.

Can anyone help?

ETA: It's still under warranty, by the way. Should I just bring it back and exchange it?
    ETA: Also, my keyboard preference IS set to Discoverable.

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Type in the key on the keyboard and wait a bit. It should reassociate with your computer. The pairing failed because you didn't type in the number. You can think of it like typing in your PIN when you swipe your ATM card, except there's no display.

3. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding After G. Actually, I have tried to type in the KEY several times but to no avail. I get the same message if I try typing it or not. During my search for a fix, I've noticed this has been a common problem with the wireless keyboard. :(

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Maybe try deleting the old keyboard pairing, and redoing it?

I have one of the older white wireless keyboards with the fat keys and mine did strange things with the old pairing as well.

If that fails to work along with other minor fixes like rebooting and then attempting again, I would probably take it in for an exchange at that point.

5. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again, After G. I just did that it worked! Woo Hoo! My iMac sits on a table and I sit in my La-Z-Boy! My (aluminum) wireless is pretty essential. (Although I do miss the Ten Key Pad, but... small sacrifices.)

Thanks for your help! If I have any further issues, I'll probably try replacing it before the warranty is up at the end of this year.

Switching to Mac is the best thing I've ever done.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Good to hear you got it working again. Glad I could help.

7. jumbomac macrumors newbie

Wireless Pairing issue- Solution

Hi All
    After reading all the threads about the keyboard issue I have finally found a solution that does work. Using my other mac, i connected to my mac mini ( the pc my keyboard was supposed to be connected to) using "share Screen" option. Using the remote desktop, open preferences, bluetooth and then add the keyboard. When it asks you to enter the pass phrase you can enter this on the remote pc keyboard. your keyboard will now sync and you should have not further issues.

Hope this helps you guys, I have read every thread on this topic and it seems to be a major issue. Hope you have another mac to share screen with...