Wireless Keyboard -- Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PercyPercy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. PercyPercy macrumors newbie

My wireless keyboard died last night and I have to get a replacement today. My question is this -- if I get a new wireless keyboard ...

The system is in sleep mode right now. When I wake it up, I have to type a password. If I get a new wireless keyboard, will it be able to "pair" with the system while it waits for me to log in? Ya see, I can't log in without a working keyboard!

Or will I be better off buying a "wired" keyboard that just plugs in so it's active when the system asks for my password?

This is an emergency situation as I have a bunch of work that has to be done today so I need to buy a keyboard that will work right away without messing around!

Any help will be appreciated!!!

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

The only time the os x check for bluetooth keyboard is if you start the computer with no keyboard attached. Being that your computer is sleeping and your work may not be saved you cant very well restart. So my suggestion is to get a wired keyboard. Better safe than sorry.

3. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

Walmart

Buy both, get a wired one from wal-mart, and then just return it.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

5. iChrisG macrumors member

Yeah, just get a cheap wired one then the Apple Wireless and then return the cheap one.

Good Luck!

-Chris

6. PercyPercy thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the wired keyboard

Just to be on the safe side, I did buy the wired keyboard. I figured it was safer AND I won't have to worry about batteries in the future. I love all the wireless stuff, but I hate running out of batteries at 3 am... so this will be better.

AND I have to say -- I LOVE these new Mac keyboards. They are ultra comfortable and quiet (and I type like a crazy person -- very fast and loud) -- and it's the coolest looking keyboard I've ever seen!

Leave it to Mac to come up (once again) with something functional AND beautiful.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

7. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Im glad that you got your new keyboard. The new Aluminum KB are just lovely. I have a few wireless and wired ones. With your new keyboard, I assume you managed to get your Mac back and not loose any of your work?

8. PercyPercy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep -- everything is working fine now!

I was able to just plug it in and go... so all is now right with the world!

9. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I find that keeping a wired keyboard and mouse around is always handy for the odd situations.