Wireless Keyboard slow/disconnects when CPU high

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Knersis, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Knersis macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ok, scenario:

1x Macbook 2.4Ghz, 4Gig RAM. December 08 model.
    1x 24" monitor connected via DVI connector
    1x USB mouse
    1x mac wireless keyboard (was used on iMac 21.5" new 2010 model)

Latest version of Snow Leopard, patched to the latest on everything. Software update says that everything is up to date.

I've unregistered the keyboard with the iMac and associated it with the Macbook. I'm typing this message with the wireless keyboard no problems.

This is where the problem comes in, when I start up for example MacTheRipper, or Handbrake. Essentially any tool that kicks the CPU into overdrive the keyboard starts acting strangely.

Typing will go to a crawl, it takes longer for the letters to appear, as if in slow motion. It will popup the keyboard disconnect and reconnect image every once in a while and if I leave the keyboard for a while it will disconnect from bluetooth completely, when I then try to reconnect by tapping a key it doesn't connect for sometime. Even if I hold the key down for several seconds.

Once the program has completed processing and the CPU drops back down to nothing, the keyboard works just fine again.

Any ideas guys

W

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Interesting. It's almost as if the bluetooth antenna isn't getting enough power to receive commands from the keyboard when the CPU starts hogging it.

3. Knersis thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting thought, for information purposes, the laptop is connected to a power source while this problem occurs. We can thus rule out power loss due to only running on the battery.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not what I meant. The power management issue I hypothesized doesn't have anything to do with being plugged in or not. Even when plugged in there's a finite amount of power available for use at any given time, and it would seem that the Bluetooth system is getting shafted.