Wireless keyboard with numberpad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by genejockey, Jan 20, 2012.

1. genejockey macrumors newbie

Hello all:

I am looking for a wireless keyboard with a number pad for use with my Mac Pro. I am currently using a Logitech Dinovo Mac edition that I like very much, but it has begun malfunctioning (dropping its RF connection, failing to power up, registering repetitive keystrokes when only one was entered, etc). Logitech's tech support was unable to provide any solutions and simply offered to provide me a discount on a new K750 (the solar powered keyboard). I have heard mixed reviews on this particular keyboard, so I was wondering what the forum readers might recommend as an alternative. A number pad is a necessity given the nature of my work, and Mac-mapped keys are a convenience I would very much like to have (ie, hotkeys for Expose, Dashboard, Mail, Safari, calculator and the like; Command key, etc). What wireless keyboard with these features would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I hesitate to suggest old technology, but:

http://gdgt.com/apple/wireless-keyboard/1st-gen/

The first-generation Apple BT KB might work for you. I used a couple of them until the new style came out.

They work and they have a keypad, and the usual Apple keys. I'm not anywhere near my old one or I'd offer it to you, just in case it's what you need.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Does it specifically have to be a wireless keyboard? I understand you're using it with a Mac Pro, so I tend to presume you don't travel with it a lot.

4. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have the Logitech K750 Wireless Solar keyboard on my Mini. It has been pretty good so far, and I like the feel of it. That model is also Mac-specific. It doesn't have to have natural light to recharge. A bright enough indoor light will recharge it.

There is also this Bluetooth keyboard that is Mac-specific with a keypad. In my experience, the only drawback is that it eats batteries fairly quickly. That's why I like the Solar keyboard: no battery replacements.

5. genejockey thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking for wireless not for portability but because the Mac Pro is located about 8 feet away from where I will be typing. It is an odd configuration but is the best solution for the lab's set-up.

----------

Thanks for the suggestion - I am all in favor of old school solutions. Do you have any idea where I might find one of these? I don't actually remember ever seeing them on sale.

----------

Thanks for the suggestions. I was reading some of the reviews of the Logitech K750 and some users had expressed concerns about durability - does it seem sturdy to you?

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have had it for a few months now, and it seems fairly sturdy so far. I usually tend to type fairly hard, too. I guess it's left over from the old school IBM style clicky keyboards. The only other thing to watch for is making sure you have enough light to recharge. Usually a lamp nearby or bright overhead light will do.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I second trying one of these.

They where on sale from 2003 to 2007. They last a long time and are sought after for their design and resistance to damage. I got my two off of eBay. They're great for typing on, but aren't that mobile. They are very heavy and are further weighted down by their 4 AA batteries.

8. genejockey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys - I am going to give one of these a try. And thanks brendu for the ebay find, I appreciate your help.

Cheers.