Wireless Keyboard's Battery Sucks...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ryanfong, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ryanfong macrumors member

I've been using the wireless keyboard for only a week from new..

The battery has dropped to 86% according to iStat Pro's reading..

Apple claims it lasts couple of months..I seriously doubt it...

Anyone has experienced the same?

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Haha, I'm sure Apple meant it works for a couple months under normal use. You might be using it a lot or using rechargable batteries.

3. MacMur macrumors regular

My wireless keyboard lasts a few weeks at a time. However I never use it all day, but I do leave it on all the time. I hope this helps. And, by the way, I can't get the battery reading for my mouse or keyboard on Istat, must be the setup some how.

4. liquidfuel macrumors newbie

I've used my current batteries for 3 months and iStat says I'm at 57%.

:)

5. ryanfong thread starter macrumors member

Oh? That's weird..I didn't setup anything in the iStat and it just shows..

wow..that's impressive..
    How many hours has it been used per day?
    What batteries are you using?

Cheers.

6. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

I've been using my wireless keyboard since mid-August, and I'm on the original batteries. Not sure what iStat shows (not at home) but it's somewhere in the 60% range I think. I use the keyboard for about 4-5 hours a day in the evenings, every evening.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't know if this makes a difference, but every once in a while when I don't use mine, on top of turning the Bluetooth off in the menu, I just hold the power button down on the keyboard itself until it goes off... Like I said, that might not make a whole lot of difference, but I've had mine for two weeks and I've used it everyday, for at least 6 hours a day. iStat Pro is telling me the battery level is at 81% now, while my Mighty Mouse is still sitting at 100% :)

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My batteries last for months in the BT KB. <Shrug>

9. liquidfuel macrumors newbie

It's used maybe 2-3 hours per day. Sometimes much more.

I'm just using regular Energizer batteries.

10. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Good battery life compared to others, and you probably mash buttons for no reason, mines lasts for about 3 months.

11. MoeOz macrumors member

For normal use it may last 3 months (Good one's like Energizer-Alkaline) but if you play games or used a normal ones it wont last a month with normal usage.

12. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I usually get a couple months out of mine as well. I probably use mine 3-4 hours a day. Give or take.

I'm curious how long regular batteries last in the wireless mighty mouse? My macally mouse is starting to fail me and I'll need something to replace it with.

13. MacMur macrumors regular

Keyboard battery status.

Oh boy do I feel a little challenged. I just disconnected my keyboard and discovered that the battery condition was in istat all the time. Go figure along side the "A" key icon. Duh i have a non Apple mouse so I understand why that isn't there.

I did figure it out all my myself so I get 1 point.

14. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

I use rechargable batteries in mine because I hate running out of battery. It really helps

15. Samwise592 macrumors regular

I've got rechargeables in my keyboard (2000mA)... It never goes above 70ish% but it lasts for about 2-3 months before it starts cutting out.

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Using 2400mha rechargeables I'd get anywhere between 2 - 4 weeks of use out of mine

17. Astral Cars macrumors regular

I've got the wireless Mighty Mouse and the battery has started draining really quickly recently. I got it in early June and the battery slowly and steadily drained over the next couple months until it got to somewhere around 70% and then I looked one day and it had dropped all the way to 40% then shortly later 20% and then it was dead. All this in just a day or two after months of slow and steady drain. I replaced the batteries with ones that were already partially used and those died in a week or two and then I put fresh ones in a couple weeks ago and I'm already down to 64%.

What's the deal? Why are my batteries dying so fast now? When you're not using the mouse doesn't it just kind of go to sleep, thus not really using the batteries? Let me know if you have ideas or if you've heard of this sort of thing before? Thanks a lot.

18. remmy macrumors 6502a

With the re-chargeable batteries it lasts for just a few days. It starts getting bad connection as soon as it goes below 50%. May have to rely on the non-rechargeable batteries if you say it gives better performance.

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well, if you provided a little more information on your usage ......

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

My batteries last about 3 months, i use the good energizer lithium or whatever they are called. I didnt know iStat showed the satus of keyboard and mouse i'm gonna have to check that out. probably because i took out the battery section since i thought it was only for laptops.

21. jon08 macrumors 65816

What the hell, I've been using Apple wireless keyboard for a week now and I'm already at only 79% of the battery life remaining!! What's more, it's not even that I've been using all day or something - I mean, seriously, I haven't done much typing. I did some gaming and internet surfing + chatting every day, but would it really drain the battery that much???

Btw, how to turn the keyboard off? If I hit the On/off button it won't turn it off, so I guess I should just turn the bluetooth on my MBP off?

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

maybe your batteries were shot. Just hold the power button until it shuts down.

23. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

To turn the wireless keyboard off you need to hold the power button until the green light goes out (the green light will come on when you press the power button). The screen will also show a 'Connection Lost' with a picture of the keyboard.

I have had my wireless keyboard for about 2 months now and on the original (Energizer alkaline) batteries it came with. Use it just about every day for about four or five hours, typing e-mails, posting on this here forum, sending tweets etc. Just checked iStat and it is currently on 85%.

I think switching it off when you don't need to use it for a couple of hours probably helps preserve the battery life.

Also, probably makes no difference, but check you haven't got CAPS LOCK on, maybe that little green light is draining power too?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. jon08 macrumors 65816

I don't have the Caps Lock on. Btw, it's pretty impressive you've only drained 15% of the battery and already 2 months deep! After a week of use it got down to 79% on my keyboard but it only dropped for 1% in this entire week. So I guess there still is hope. I'm hoping it means that the battery drainage kind of stopped now and I will be getting more out of the battery life from now on..