Wireless Keyboards: Bluetooth or USB?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by james6000, Jul 8, 2007.

?

Bluetooth or USB for wireless???

Poll closed Jul 18, 2007.
  1. USB

12.5%
  2. Wireless

79.2%
  3. Too similar to differentiate

4.2%
  4. Keep with the Macbook's keyboard

4.2%
  5. Other (Please state in the thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. james6000 macrumors member

james6000

I'm looking to buy an external keyboard for for MB for use at home. I'm leaning towards the bluetooth keyboards simply because the MB only has 2 USB ports. However they are very expensive compared to wireless USB keyboards and was wondering whether it was worth it. I would love to know what your guys opinion is.

Could another choice be to buy a USB expansion peripheral?

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

when you say wireless you mean bluetooth right?

3. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Oh crap, typo. Yeh I did mean that. Do you know how to edit the poll?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

bluetooth. cleaner...more accurate. saves usb ports.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I was under the impression that wireless keyboards that supply a USB connector are bluetooth - my old Logitech wireless mouse came with a USB adapter but I didn't need that since my laptop had Bluetooth, and worked fine through that.

6. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Sorry but I don't think I made myself too clear. I was referring to buying a bluetooth keyboard therefore preventing the use of the already very few USB ports available rather than a standard USB wireless keyboard which would then obviously only leave me one port, at the expense of cost.

I've also never had the experience of using a bluetooth mouse or keyboard so don't know about the precision or accuracy of these products.

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

unless you have an older portable, most new technology has bt integrated seamlessly, works great.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would have to say bt, especially if you are talking about a laptop. Having to remove the wireless USB adaptor each time sucks, but with my bt keyboard and mouse I just pack up and go. BT all the way!

10. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I have used both. Originally I had the logitech keyboard/mouse for mac combo but I found that frustrating at times as I had to have the keyboard or mouse at the right angle for it to work. And as I use the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the arm of my chair this was a conflict with the signal. So I switched to the BT mighty mouse and keyboard and much prefer this to the other. No blind spots for reception of the signal.

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

BT. So easy to use and it integrates perfectly with the MB. Plus it will work with future computers you get as BT is here to stay (for a while at least) as a close range wireless technology.

12. polycat33 macrumors 6502

What does a USB wireless keyboard use to make the usb plug and keyboard talk to each other? I assume it's not bluetooth since people have been talking about them as two separate choices.

13. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

Wow, seems like BT is the clear winner. I'll think I'll be buying a BT keyboard then :p. But I'll still stick with my Logitech MX1000 which uses and adapter.

Which BT keyboards do you guys use? Apple? Or 3rd party(seems just like Logitech atm)?

14. chew63 macrumors member

I have the Apple keyboard and it's very nice.

15. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I use the apple bluetooth keyboard and so far I love it. While it was a bit expensive, I haven't had a second thought about it. The only annoying thing is I want to turn it off when I'm not using it but I always forget!! I agree with someone people who have said it would be nice if the on/off switch were somewhere more accessible (it's on the bottom). I do really like the way it connects. If I turn on my computer and then the keyboard, while the bluetooth icon doesn't say it's connected, all I have to do is start typing and it'll connect and recognize all my typing from the beginning.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

RF is what they use.

and i have a wired keyboard, the IceKey by Macally which is great. love the keys and feel to it. i previously had the Apple BT keyboard, but just couldn't stand how dirty it got and how the keys felt.

17. kolax macrumors G3

Bluetooth operates over RF too...what's the difference?

18. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

To those that have bluetooth keyboards, how often do you have to replace your batteries? I would imagine if you turn it off everytime you're not using it you would be able to eek out several months between swapping out batteries.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not sure, other than different frequencies.

with my Apple BT Keyboard i'd typically go 3-4 months between battery changes

20. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I have the apple BT keyboard. I am still using the original batteries but then I have only had it for a little over a month. I just added the iskin keyboard cover to it so that should take care of the problem of keeping it clean and I got a iSkin for my blackbook too. I am one of those people that mark keyboards (too much oily fingers I guess)

21. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I recommend going with BT. I've had the BT apple kb for about 2.5 months now and still using the original batteries. Plus I've saved a USB port. What's not to love about BT? :)

22. james6000 thread starter macrumors member

james6000

a little off topic, but today I was just trying out the Mighty Mouse on my Macbook. I found it to be a little jolty and the difference between that and my Logitech Laser was remarkable. Apple's mouse seems to lacks the accuracy compared to the Logitech. Anybody else found this or is it just the surface I'm using it on?

23. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have Apple's BT keyboard both at home and at work, where I use them 5 days a week. They batteries last long enough to where I don't mind changing them- I'd say 5-6 months or so. That's without ever turning off the keyboard.

24. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

What bluetooth keyboard does everyone recommend? I am having a hell of a time just finding good BT keyboards. It seems like the only real option is to go with the Apple BT keyboard. I know of the logitech edge keyboard but for the high price tag it does not really seem like a viable option right now.

The reason I am going with bluetooth is so I do not have to mess with any wires and it works well with a HTPC type of setup. All suggestions are appreciated.

25. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I love the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. It's got a nice minimalist design, the keys feel great, and the batteries last forever. It's probably a good keyboard for a HTPC because it's very solid and doesn't have any extraneous plastic flaps hanging off the sides like many keyboards do; it takes up the least amount of space of any full-size desktop keyboard, which makes it fairly easy to use in your lap or keep on a coffee table.