Wireless-LAN extender for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btsvchris, Oct 7, 2014.

1. btsvchris macrumors member

Hello everyone,
    At university I am sharing the Wireless network with a friend, apparently his flat is around 50 meters away.
    I only get a very low connection, often I don't find the network at all.
    The antenna from the Router cannot be changed and a repeater cannot be installed anywhere close.

Is there an antenna that I can plug into my MacBook?

Thanks for your help!
    Chris

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

A 50 metre cat 6 cable from your flat to his or an ethernet wireless access point with external antenna installed in his flat so you have a better line of sight seem to be your only options.

3. btsvchris thread starter macrumors member

There is an open space and a street between our two flats. Not sure if I should use the cable ;)
    The external antenna for the router does not work, as it is not possible to take the one from the Router of.

There is definately no antenna for the MacBook?

Chris

4. Gav Mack, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Using the built in airport nothing that wouldn't look an absolute mess hanging out of your bottom case. Look out the window, are there any wires that aren't mains with high voltages going across the street?

If not and you have line of sight with his flat two access points with beam antennas in each flat would be a workable solution. You would have to link them both up, configure the IP address and access points to run in bridge mode linking his router to yours connect via your Ethernet port. If you live in student digs areas they are usually saturated with wifi networks and beamed signals exacerbate that a lot .

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Amazon has a lot of ext. USB wifi antennas. Might be worth a try.