Wireless laser printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by imanidiot, Nov 26, 2014.

1. imanidiot Suspended

Would anyone care to recommend an inexpensive wireless laser printer that will work well with OS X? I'm sick of paying stupid money for inkjet cartridges, when most of my printing is B&W.

Thanks.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Several years ago I purchased a cheap Samsung (!) laser printer ($85) and plugged it into a surplus Airport Express which I already had. Instant wireless printing for all my Macs. I do not print a lot, but it has never failed - still on the original 'starter' cartridge.

3. redsoxguy676 macrumors regular

What is your max amount you are looking to spend?

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Brother makes a few compact black and white lasers that might work nicely for you. I had an HL-2140 for a while, which I think they've discontinued, but there are similar models like the 2240 that look like they're about the same. Be sure to look into the price of both the printer and its consumables (toner and possibly drum), but I've found Brother's to be reasonably priced, and I've used a third-party cartridge with good luck, too.

Also, note that you don't actually need a wireless printer to print wirelessly from your computer. If you have an Airport Extreme Base Station or an Airport Express, you can use the USB port for a printer (there are also a few other third-party routers that support this). You can also get an Ethernet printer and plug it into a free port on any switch in your network. Either way will allow you to print from your computer if it's on your network. This tends to work much better than printers with built-in Wi-Fi, anyway, in many people's experience.

5. ColdCase, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

The Xerox Phaser 6500DN is a nice $300 color printer with inexpensive third party toner cartridges available, but the toner goes a long way. Ethernet or USB only, however. Works well with each OSX version I've tried. Built in duplexer for double sided printing. Can handle special paper, but an inkjet does better on card stock. Their non duplex version is about $180.

6. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

I should mention that I want a black and white only printer, and I'd like to keep it around $100. I have a Canon inkjet for color, and it has been the best printer I've ever owned (other than the price of ink).

7. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am looking for the same thing right now. I want airprint for iOS as well. I almost bit the bullet on an inkjet when I saw some great black Friday deals. I am glad I held out. I have a color inkjet at home right now and I am am out of 1 of the 6 ink and I refuse to buy more.

So I am subscribing to this thread to see what pops up as suggestions.

8. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

I hear you. Most of my printing is b&w (text), and a laser would be much more economical for that purpose. I do very little printing (other than photos) which really requires color, and for that the Canon is great, albeit expensive. But honestly, with inkjets---given the price of ink---they should give you the printer for free just to sell you ink.

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I used to print a lot of color stuff, but much like you most of what I print is B&W as well. I was buying Epson ink for my printer, but last purchase of a no name brand and it worked ok, but they were really low yield and I went through the 12 inks that bought very fast.

Right now I am looking at this one from Samsung, and it is only $80 for the next two days....(I saw it on Amazon for $70 too). I don't think it comes with toner, but I am trying to figure that out right now.

SL-M2835DW/XAA

10. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

I just looked at that one, but the set-up process seems a little scary (the clouds of toner). I'm currently looking at this, which seems to get high marks:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-L2...g/dp/B00LZS5EEI/ref=pd_cp_e_0#customerReviews

Good luck to us both.

11. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

There was a really good deal on that printer a few months back, I believe from staples and we almost picked up a few for people at work. Well I will probably be pulling the trigger soon just need to find the right one for me.

12. SpecialJ, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

SpecialJ macrumors newbie

I almost bit the bullet on this Samsung, but from what I can tell; you have to use the Samsung Mobile Print App to print from from your iPhone/iPad. I'm not sure if it specifically supports Apple Airprint, or at least the specs don't say it does. Most of the Brother wireless printers support Airprint functionality. I'm likely going to purchase one of those like the HL-L2340DW or even the HL-L2380DW which adds scan/copy functionality for only $10 more on Amazon.

Edit: Reading some of the reviews on Amazon, they seem to indicate AirPrint works fine without the Samsung app. Confused as to why Samsung doesn't list it as AirPrint compatible.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

HP P1102w......works great with Mac and Airprint compatible with iOS devices...also easy setup so I can print from my Acer Chromebook to it too.

14. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

+1 on the HP 1102W. I use one in my motorhome when we travel. Needed compact size and color wasn't a requirement. I don't like ink jets either.