wireless loses connection every 10 mins

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrick s., Nov 16, 2010.

1. patrick s. macrumors newbie

everything was ok until last night when I noticed this. I'm sure I didn't change anything manually in the network settings, but now I can't keep a connection for more than 10 mins. To get it back again I have to shut the airport connection (checking the diagnostics, I get a red light on the ISP circle,yellow on internet and server) and that lasts me another 10 mins

so far I've tried sending pings, deleting this network entry and adding it back,changing the router position, but no luck. I'm able to check the router settings (tp link), but not sure what I should be looking for

the laptop works fine at my sister's place. It's just this network at home I'm having troubles with. the same thing happened all of a sudden with my imac,so I left the ethernet cable connected to that, as it's right next to the router and it works fine.

any help would be appreciated

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

What router do you have? That can cause this sometimes. Macs don't play nicely with all routers. It could also be the router causing it, do you have another computer to check?

3. patrick s. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a TP-Link-wr642G, unfortunately it's the only one here that I can check both mac's with :( I've tried unplugging the modem/router too, but the wireless issue didn't change

4. FAsnakes macrumors regular

Try updating the routers firmware - that is if there is an update available.
    Create a new wireless profile and try that..

Do you have other wireless clients connected to the network? if so, are they disconnected as well?
    Should've picked up an Airport Base Station - i love this thing and haven't had a problem with wireless disconnects..

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Its hard to tell without another machine to check. I had the same problem with a cheap 40 dollar router. No issues with the airport base station.

6. Ferry888 macrumors member

Have you bought a new wireless phone lately? It could interfere with the signal.

You could also try to switch the channel on which the router sends out the signal. This can be done in the configuration menu of your router which can be usually accessed by your web browser.

7. patrick s. thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to tplink's website to download the latest firmware, wrote everything down on my router's settings, but I must have done something wrong since I can't get a connection at all :eek: so I took it back to the computer store that I bought it from and had them reset it, I asked if the router was "mac friendly" he wasn't sure, but I'm guessing it isn't.

apple prices here are pretty crazy so I skipped on getting an airport and went with a cheap router. but there's no use having a wireless router if I can't use the wifi, so I'll end up spending a bit more and buying a different one, probably a Dlink

thanks for all your responses :)