Wireless lost unplugging then pluggin in Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Advance The Man, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Moving furniture around I unplugged the AE. Replugged and no wireless for iMac, ATV2, iPad and a laptop. I have a new Lenovo laptop and plugged ethernet directly, then wireless started to work. The only difference now is I had a PC plugged in via ethernet from the AE.

How do I get it to work again or just start over. Tough when you have no cable and kids asking to watch tv (i.e. ATV2). Thanks all.

2. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I just start over? I've tried a lot of things to get it to work. Just want to reset computers as if they don't have an internet connection and reset AE to default.

How would I do this? I'm not techy inclined. Thanks!

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

If you wish to perform a hard rest of your AirPort Extreme, complete the following:
    1. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil until you see the status light (LED) start to flash amber rapidly, which should occur after about five seconds.
    2. Release the button, and the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule will hard reset.

If that does not resolve your issue, you can restore your AirPort Extreme to factory settings by doing the following:
    1. Unplug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule from power.
    2. Press and hold the reset button with a pen or pencil, then plug the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule back in while continuing to hold the button until you see the light (LED) flash rapidly. This should happen after a few seconds.
    3. Release the button. This will factory default reset the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule.

4. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the hard reset and couldn't get airport to work on my iMac. I was able to setup Airport extreme on my PC with Windows 7. Then it worked on everything but the iMac.

In frustration I deleted Airport Extreme off the iMac. Now when I hit plus sign it says 'Select the interface and enter a name for the new service.' Under Interface it has 'AirPort' and for Service Name it has Airport 3 (don't know why '3'). I select 'Create' and 'Aiport 3' is shown along with bluetooth, ethernet and firewire - but the small circle is amber. It says Airport 3 is on but is not connect to a network. Ugghhhh!

Under network name I select the name I just set up and works on every other device and computer in house -- I enter the WPA password and it says it connection failed.

Seems iMac isn't connected to a network? Why is this - why can't I just select it and enter password? I have to think of Apple's slogan "it just works" -- uhh no it doesn't. Love apple products, but as you know being lost is no fun when you're not a techy. Any help is greatly appreciated.