Wireless Mighty Mouse and Wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The iKid, Oct 21, 2008.

1. The iKid macrumors member

I've been considering buying these two products for my macbook. I was curious how good they work. I have heard that some people have had problems with the wireless mighty mouse and also with the keyboard. I wanted to know if they are really worth the $150+. Just any experiences positive or negative that may influence my purchase would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

2. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I have a wireless mighty mouse and I use it mainly with my iMac. I originally bought it for my Blackbook, but turns out I never used it. I'm very used to the trackpad. Now with the Aluminum Trackpad, it's the same thing... after a couple of days it's very comfortable. Back to your question... I've had no trouble after one year of use.

3. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks every now and then I notice a zig zag line through my bluetooth symbol in my menu bar and it disappears from system preferences. It doesn't happen as often anymore, but I was curious is anyone has had problems with bluetooth connectivity.

4. Nadav macrumors regular

They keyboard is great, but the mighty mouse, not so much. The mouse is a pleasure to use for the first 4/5 months, but then you'll run into a major problem. The scroll wheel will stop working. You have to rub it vigorously for it to function again, and every 2/3 months it stops working. Its a real nuisance, but I still use the mouse since pretty much every thing else about it is great.

5. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Ok, would you recommend cleaning it in any way or is it just naturally not built to last?
    Also, does anyone really miss the extra keys on the wired version or are they unnecessary?

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have the wireless mighty mouse. It works great, and I love it!

I have the previous version of the wireless keyboard, wireless pro keyboard, and I also love it!

No problems to report. If you want it, buy it!

7. The iKid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I'm pretty decided. It seems like everyone has had for the most part good experiences with it. Now I just have to save up the money.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else think $70 seems a little unreasonable? Sure I'll most likely end up getting it anyway. However, it seems a little overpriced.

8. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

that is why it is $70.

9. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I also have a dilemma about the wireless mighty mouse. My husband and I have a laptop and when I use it, unless I am playing certain games that are just easier to play with a mouse, I almost always use the trackpad. I think I just answered my own question in one sense because I do think I want a mouse, but what exactly is the great big deal about a mighty mouse vs. a generic wireless mouse? I haven't used a Mac in years so I'm a complete newbie but I want to order everything at the same time.

10. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

to be fair, compare a mighty mouse with a wireless bluetooth mouse. the advantage of the bluetooth is that you do not need the stupid dongle taking up one of your usb ports. There isn't anything special that i can think of, just the apple tax.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I have both a wireless mighty mouse and the bluetooth keyboard, been using them for awhile now and I would highly recommend them. :)

Yes, the mouse is a little pricey but it's bluetooth so that's to be expected. I think the mouse would be great for everything but gaming.

Typing on the keyboard is smooth and beautiful like water flowing down a gentle stream. I would say its better value for money than the mighty mouse.

The media keys are also a bonus. I can launch dashboard, expose etc. control volume at the press of a button.

The only bad side to them i would say is they take up quite abit of batteries. And once in awhile, you might have connection issues. Not sure why, but it happens sometimes.

However, these are small issues and overall doesn't affect my usage. They've worked great for me.

12. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I found it to be the oils in the skin, it gets on the scroll ball and buggers up the connectors.

13. Nadav macrumors regular

I find that the best solution is to lay down a damp towel, and hold the mouse upside down, and just rub as fast as you can. It takes around 30 seconds, and is annoying, but I still think it's worth buying, even though $70 is very expensive.

As for the keyboard, I had never used the number pad before I got the wireless keyboard, so it wasn't an issue for me. I doubt you will miss those keys too much, since it makes the keyboard notably smaller, and fits much more comfortably on your lap without the number pad.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yup. I also have had great times with my bluetooth set. I'm typing this right now using my Wireless keyboard. The mouse eats batteries like crazy but that is because I used cheap batteries, no brand. If you use Duracell or something you'd get around 2-3 months of battery life. The batteries Apple gives you lasted me around 3 month, they are Energizer Lithium nonrechargeable.

15. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I don't think that's a real nusiance. Happens with my MightyMouse as well - just hold the mouse upside down, press against the scroll wheel and scroll in all directions for 5 seconds. After that it'll work flawlessly again...

Anyway, I have no bluetooth-related problems using Apple's mouse and keyboard.

16. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I could see the scroll ball getting gummed up, but I think the cleaning methods mentioned here would work. Also, what about canned air? Would that damage the mouse or potentially just push the gunk further down in? Mice are not built to last forever, especially the new optical ones. I have had the scroll on several stop working, but they've all been faily inexpensive so I've just replaced them. I played with the new trackpad at Best Buy tonight a little and I absolutely love it! I just wish there weren't so many things that are more efficient to do with a mouse.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been completely satisfied with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. It's very comfortable and reliable, with great battery life! I'm using it more than 15 hours a day, so I've given it a good workout, and it's never given a hint of a problem. As far as the mouse goes, I opted for a Logitech VX Nano for several reasons, and I've been equally impressed by that!

18. emt1 macrumors 65816

Just in case you missed it... your laptop has a keyboard BUILT IN! Wow!

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

...and your point is?

20. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Many people have their laptops connected to external displays and tucked away in a corner somewhere, or raised on some docking station, making keyboards, whether they be wireless or not, quite handy.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can write you a really long flame on Apple shrinking the wireless keyboard for absolutely no reason, but I will give my older bluetooth wireless keyboard top marks. I've had it for about two years with zilch problems. I just have to use some canned air to clean it and I have NiMH rechargeable batteries that need juicing up every 3 or 4 months.

A lot of people hate the wireless mighty mouse, but I'm not one of them. The batteries need charging more often (maybe every month), but that takes 15 minutes out of your life. As for the trackball problems, yep, they exist. But a combination of canned air and a dab of rubbing alcohol (along with moving the ball so it gets cleaned all over) usually does the trick. My mouse is probably even more than 2 years old.

The only issue I constantly have is the pointer movement is like dragging a dead elephant when I'm transferring files over the WLAN. I have no idea what the deal with that is. I'd LOVE to know so I could fix it, but I just deal with it pretty much.

22. lady whip macrumors newbie

BT Might Mouse

I have a BT MM I have had for two years this month. I have loved it.. have not had to clean it very often as I keep my hands clean and when I put on lotion I just lay a kleenex over the top til it all soaks in.

But, today.. it has died pretty much. The light that shows through the pin hole just blinks intermittently. Doesn't stay on constant.. just this intermittent blinking like it is trying to give me a morse code message.

23. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

You can usually get a refurbished Mighty Mouse and keyboard from the Apple store for $10 cheaper.