Wireless Mighty Mouse jumpy on G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tevion5, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I recently picked up a surprisingly cheap Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse for only €20 in a second hand shop. I jumped at the chance as they usually go for far more in eBay. I want it for my G5 Quad to compliment the ACD and matching keyboard. The wired Mighty Mouse I currently have with it is 1. Wired and 2. The scroll ball is stuck in one direction and cleaning it might be too fiddly for me. (I have tried the sticky tape method several times.)

However when I got home I was disappointed to find it was very jagged and jumpy with huge 2 second or so delay. I suspect this is due to the their party USB Bluetooth dongle I use? But if so why? It's a Bluetooth 2.0 dongle as far as I'm aware so I don't see the issue.

Luckily it does work perfectly, scroll ball and all, on my MBP, so I know it's not the mouse. I have a Magic Mouse for that though, so if really like to get it working with my G5 Quad.

Reckon I get a different Bluetooth dongle? Or the genuine built in chip?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

The genuine built-in chip would be better sort of. What else do you have running off of the dongle?

The usual cause for behavior like that from a mouse is interference from other devices that are also using the dongle or from interference on the 2.4 GHz band from other devices. If you have multiple items connected to that dongle (more than 3), that could be causing the problem.

Basically, BT uses a 2.GHz frequency with limited bandwidth and even on newer Macs has limitations that result in issues like this.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have you tried installing the Wireless Update for Leopard?

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL951?locale=en_US

About a year ago I was looking for a BT USB dongle and bought this piece of crap that said it was BT 2.0 but never worked correctly. The Belkin I have now (and the Belkin model with less range I got for my son) though work perfectly - as if BT is native to my G4.

Try the update first though. It may help.

4. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nope, it was a later release. Technically it's for the Magic Mouse, but the Mighty Mouse is also wireless so there may be something there that helps.