Wireless Mighty Mouse not so responsive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MB98XJ, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I just purchased a Wireless Mighty Mouse from Best Buy today and I customized the settings and had to turn them all the way up to get used to the mouse. To be completely honest, at first glance it looks and feels great, and I bought it because it had that "Mac" look. I am a new Mac user, I just bought my MBP yesterday, and I'm wondering if there are some additional tips for the Mighty Mouse?

For example, I scroll from one end of the screen to the other (to x out or minimize or whatever) and I slow down the mouse as I'm approaching the X or Minimize button (so I don't go past it) and the Mighty Mouse slows down more considerably than I am and I have to scroll for a little while longer to reach where I'm wanting to go. It's a bit annoying. Does this just take some getting used to, or should I return it? Also, the scroll wheel isn't very great either.

On a lighter note, I love my new MacBook Pro!

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Not to mighty, is it. I know a lot of users here don't use the Mighty Mouse. Can you guess why :eek: They don't like it... :)

3. aleni macrumors 68020

maybe be the battery is near expired so even the battery is new, it's actually dying.

4. Zode135 macrumors newbie

I feel the same way, there is something about the tracking that is off. One good thing about Windows is their mouse tracking, alot better then osx. You can try a program called Steer Mouse. It is suppose to help with the problem, but i did not find it too helpful.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why does everyone like Windows mouse tracking? It sucks. In XP, Vista and Windows 7 beta, mouse tracking is horrible. It's not accurate and precise at all. The default Mighty Mouse tracking speed is a bit slow, but turning it two notches below max makes it perform very close to any Mac notebook's default trackpad speed, which is a good balance. But I have to repeat, Windows mouse tracking is horrible. I've used Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, and Asuss notebooks and netbooks, I was never able to achieve the level of accuracy and precision found in Mac trackpads/mice.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Occasionally it's not necessary the trackings fault or the software, it could very well be the surface each of us choose to use. When I started using Laser mice on my old mouse matt I experience odd behaviours with the pointer, like the OP, it seems less responsive.. other times, my pointer refused to move smoothly, occasionally jumping uncontrollably.

So, gotta ask, many people here actually use a mouse mat that's optimised for Laser Mice??

7. Zode135 macrumors newbie

The truth is, your wrong. Windows tracking really is the best.

8. robkat macrumors member

robkat

Mighty Mouse

I find mighty mouse very quick and very responsive.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I disagree. I don't find Windows' tracking any better than OS X's. That is, at least, at the maximum speed.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Truth is, I agree with SnowLeopard. Raised on Windows, it took me a while to get used to Mac's tracking speed, but now that I am, I can't stand the mouse on a Windows machine. Twitchy, inaccurate, and a somewhat "buggy" feeling.

Now, if you want to talk down on the Mighty Mouses "right click" function, or need for trackball cleaning, I'll be right there with you.

11. bbnck macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem when I bought my mac mini and its called tracking acceleration, its been part of OS X for a very long time...it does take some time to get use to but its just a different tracking algorithm.

I originally used PC mouses and some were much speedier than others for whatever reason and made the mouse unusable due to the acceleration. I since purchased a mighty mouse (wired version) and I've been able to get use to it. I decided to buy a wireless mighty mouse cause I want to use the mouse on my desk without a chunk of wire beneath the keyboard slider but it seems the mighty mouse has a short delay in feedback compared to the wired mighty mouse - not sure if its Bluetooth related. Many people have complained of feedback delay with both the wireless apple keyboard and wireless mouse.

I sent the wireless mouse back as it was unusable due to this delay and decided to stick with my wired mighty mouse. The wire on the wired version is small as its intended to go into the apple keyboard's USB port (or in your MacBook in this case).

Apart from that you should be able to get use to OS X tracking acceleration (you could consider trying the wired mighty mouse?), Windows uses a linear tracking algorithm where basically no matter if you move your mouse slow or fast it'll move the same distance from how far you move your mouse (not theoretically obviously, but an example of how Windows tracking works). OS X uses accelerated tracking, which is great for precise movement, but unnatural at first. I had to practice to see how the acceleration works to get use to it.

12. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I sold mine, it was fine at general use but when I used it for photoshop etc, small movements seemed so jerky and unresponsive to me despite messing around with all the possible settings.