Wireless mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcre, Jun 26, 2008.

1. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

I've got a question for all you that use the wireless mighty mouse. I got my iMac in the middle of January and the batteries lasted four months. That seemed pretty good to me, so I replaced them with some Duracells. Those lasted a month. They weren't new, but they were never used. I figured they sat around too long.

Anyway, I replaced them after they died yesterday with brand new Energizers and today it tells me they are at 89% now today. I've had them in for less than 24 hours. Is this normal? What type of batteries do you all use?

For the record, I'm not all bent out of shape and if I only get a month out of the batteries I'll live with it, but I'd like them to last a little longer. Seems like they should last, it's just a mouse. I do turn it off every night.

Thanks for the input.

2. iHusky macrumors newbie

I used to use Energizer E^2 Lithiums, but eventually just got a big ol' box of bargain batteries. The Energizers lasted a little over a month, while the cheap ones lasted ~ two weeks.

3. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Thanks for the reply.

I need to find out what came with it. I'm down to 81% right now. These are only going to last a week. I've only had them in for a day. I'm not a huge environmentalist, but I don't want to be throwing out batteries every week.

4. iHusky macrumors newbie

One more thing - I know you said in your original post that you were turning it off every night, but it might also help if you turned it off whenever you weren't going to use it for the next five minutes or more.

5. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Yea, I might need to start doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. For the record, I never did that on the first set of batteries.

6. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

I just had to replace the batteries yesterday. That means they lasted less than a month. I'm already down to 90%. Is it possible that my mouse is defective?

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Consider buying rechargeables and a charger. I did, and I think it was well worth it (2 wireless MM,2 wireless kbs).

Sony BCG-34HRMF, got it from Amazon.com. Buy 2x the number of batteries you need at any one time, and you'll be good for years.

I'm sure there are other brands/models out there. But I've been using this one for about a year, and like it. It charges 4 at a time.

In the short term it obviously costs you more than a big pack of AAs from a discount place. But fewer dead batteries in the landfill, etc. etc -- whether that's important to you is your business.

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yes, those batteries that ship with the mouse are incredible. They last months. Everything else is crap and lasts ~2-4 weeks.

9. pprior macrumors 65816

Why in the world wouldn't you just use rechargeables? This type of setup is exactly the right choice for using rechargeables and that's what we do, maybe change them out once a month or two.

10. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

Yea, the batteries that came with it were great, nothing compares to them.

I think I may got the rechargeable route.

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I use the Energizer e^2 lithium batteries. Those are the kind that the mighty mouse comes with. They aren't cheap though, a four pack cost me $11.

Don

12. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

how long do they last you?

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well, I've only had to change batteries 3 times since November, and I'm on my iMac a least 6 hours a day and never turn my mouse off when not in use. so they last about 2.5 months.

Don

14. marcre thread starter macrumors regular

marcre

That's not too bad. My original lasted four months, now I'm not getting a month out of them. These are two days old and already down to 80%. I may look into rechargeable as well.

15. portent macrumors 6502a

You should absolutely use rechargeables. Anything else will eat your money a month at a time.

Regular alkalines are the cheapest in the short run, but the most expensive over time. Rechargeables cost more up front, but will save you in the end. Lithiums by far last longest, and thus end up costing slightly less than alkalines since you don't have to replace them as often, but they still cant beat rechargeables for price.

Not to mention environmental damage.

16. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

My batteries last about a month, and that's using cheap (burnt out) rechargables. I'd say to grab some Eneloops (they're awesome little gems) and you'll never have to worry about it again. :) It's up to you.

17. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I just bought an Apple wireless mouse last week and it came with Energizer Lithium batteries. When they die I will replace them with rechargeable AA batteries I have laying around. I have enough of them to have a couple sets of batteries charged or charging while I'm using another set.