Wireless mirroring of iPad 2 in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mr. Luigi, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Mr. Luigi macrumors member

I am a physics teacher and I am DESPERATE for a solution to this situation. I have a new commercial projector in my classroom. It does NOT accept HDMI inputs. It does accept VGA. I want to be able to use WIRELESS mirroring with my iPad 2 when iOS 5 comes out using my projector. But, wireless mirroring needs the Apple TV and the Apple TV only outputs an HDMI signal to your display device. The installers of my projector did include a converter box with my system. The converter box has an HDMI plug that could accept the HDMI signal from the Apple TV. Since iOS 5 is not out yet, I can't test the wireless mirror function with the Apple TV. However, I have used Apple's HDMI+charger dongle, attached an HDMI cable to it. Attached the other end of the HDMI cable to the converter box. The converter box then sends a VGA signal to my projector and audio signal to my powered speakers. When I connected my iPad 2 to my projector this way, it did not work. I get audio, but no video. So, I am assuming when I use an Apple TV with iOS 5 it also won't work. Is the iPad 2 very particular about what converter box you use? Would a different converter box work? Wireless mirroring would be a HUGE feature for me. I teach Astronomy and it would be awesome to use several of the better planetarium apps by holding the iPad 2 in my hands and move it around unencumbered by cables. I can see many other situations where not having cables attached to my iPad 2 would greatly enhance its functionality with certain apps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cshearer macrumors regular

Well, I do have the pre-release software (legally) for both my iPad and my Apple TV. I have to say, it works like a dream, and I could really see it being fun for your students if you got it working. I have my Apple TV connected to a surround sound receiver via optical audio, and video through HDMI. Your setup is a bit more intricate, but I'd imagine that once the public version of the OS comes out, you shouldn't have a problem. Though, the VGA might be the problem. Something about your set up just doesn't sit well with the Apple TV, which has also caused me a bit of headache before.

Besides that, Apple seems to really like education. If you find that even with the wireless mirroring that it still doesn't work, they would be more than happy to help you out over the phone, or at your Apple store. Though I have a lot of experience with A/V systems, the Apple TV is new to me hah.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the converter box cannot handle a signal with DRM. I am not certain there is, but I assume apple would have to use some type of DRM for the HDMI (and HDMI on apple tv).

To better determine the cause, have you tried connecting any other HDMI devices into the converter/projector? Try connecting a laptop with HDMI out. Perhaps a colleage will have one of you do not. If you can't find a computer WI HDMI out, then try a DVD player with HDMI out.

Let us know.

4. Mr. Luigi, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Mr. Luigi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Thanks a lot "cs" and "zz"

I think this puzzle is going to take some tenacity on my part to solve so every suggestion is very much appreciated. Hopefully, others will see this thread and have additional insights. BTW, our school has an overhead projector in all 160 plus classrooms (Pre-K through 12th grade). None have HDMI inputs despite being less than 5 years old. Many are younger than 5 years old. Mine was installed this summer. So solving this technical dilemma could help my standing with my peers. :) For now, I'm going to bring one of my Blu-ray players from home to school and see if the converter works with it's HDMI output. I'm also going to try to hook up with someone from Apple who might be able to help as you are right...Apple is very pro education. Cheers and thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

5. Mcclure macrumors member

If you know anyone with an Apple TV test that with your set up. If the ATV works then it should be able to mirror. I'm a teacher as well and really looking forward to iPad mirroring with iOS 5.

Not sure if it is our Apple rep or what but I can't agree with Apple supporting education. We get 0 discount on any iOS device and the same discount you get at the store as a teacher when we buy in bulk. I don't think our rep gives good advice either. I think Apple works well in education but for us I can't say they support it.

6. Mr. Luigi thread starter macrumors member

HDMI to Component Video + RCA audio solution

Read a post elsewhere where the user was able to get his iPad 2 to wirelessly mirror with an Apple TV 2 using the following HDMI to 5 plug adaptor (3 plugs for component video and two plugs for L/R RCA audio).

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-component-AV-Converter/dp/B002WBOQPU

It's not HDMI to VGA as I wanted, but for those who have projectors that accept component video this could be a solution. Several reviews on Amazon says it works fine with this set up. The author of the post said when he used it there was some shifting of the screen so he lost a little bit of one side of the screen and the colors were a bit washed out. But, he was still positive about its performance. None of the Amazon reviews said they experienced these minor glitches.

OK, folks. We're making some progress! I would still need to find a HDMI to VGA converter that we know work as my projector does not have component video inputs.

I am getting the feeling that there are a lot of teachers out there that would love a solution to this issue. Time for someone to step up and be a hero. :)

7. Mr. Luigi thread starter macrumors member

Update: I have found these two converters that "strip" the DRM HDCP so that you can play HDMI sources using displays that only support VGA. The HD Fury 3 has a shift adjustment to deal with an occasional complaint with these converters that the picture is moved to the left or right causing some loss of image. These are not cheap converters, but they have some significant electronics in them to achieve full HDCP support.

Link to HD Fury3: http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/hdfury-iii/specs-iii/

LInk to Altinex Converter: http://www.altinexace.com/products.cfm/VP500-100

Since iOS 5 is not out yet I have no way of knowing if either of these will allow the use of the Apple TV 2 and iPad 2 to achieve wireless mirroring. I have just bought the Fury 3 and will update this forum thread with information as to whether it allows the iPad 2 to display its contents using Apple's HDMI dongle. This is a hard wired approach, but if it works it would show that there is a way to output from the iPad 2 via HDMI and input to a display/projector via VGA with success. That would hopefully be a positive sign that it will also work with the HDMI signal coming out of the Apple TV 2

8. kevinero macrumors newbie

Any more updates on this? I work at a university and with the release of iOS 5 we are interested in doing wireless iPad 2 mirroring in the classroom. Nearly all of our projectors only have VGA and I am hesitant to order anything until I know for sure there is a solution out there.

9. Mr. Luigi thread starter macrumors member

Update: The HD Fury 3 will work. But, not by itself. The Fury does no scaling. So whatever resolution it receives it passes along to the projector. The Apple TV 2 is putting out a 720p signal. You will also need a scalar to change this to match the resolution of your projector. Then everything should work fine. If you go to the Fury website they address this issue. If you google this you should find more specifics. It is discouraging that Apple has made this so difficult for many folks working in education using VGA projectors. The legality of the Fury has been brought up in other forums. It appears that if it is used to simply regain functionality for your display it is legal. I will try to find the post from the Apple Support Forum where I read this and copy/paste here.

----------

Regarding the legality of the Fury 3, here you go...

"HD Fury does work very well ! Got one of them on my Barco Cine9 and it gave a new life to my display!
    DMCA allow reverse engineering for inter operability so HDCP legality issue is no more as long as your goal is to achieve inter operability between your sources and displays. That is confirmed by many manufacturers selling ADD-ons cards for their old displays that will just do what HD Fury is doing."

10. rzdrojewski macrumors newbie

Updates? Apple TV to VGA solution?

Hello, as a K-12 teacher I am highly interested in live video mirroring off my iPad2 to the apple TV device. Our LCD projectors only have VGA input.

Have any of the above solutions been verified?

11. jokerz126 macrumors regular

mirroring...wired..

as a related question...I am trying to get ipad 2 mirroring working with an older TV..and at the same time also have a setup I could also use for doing ipad 2 mirroring with a projector which only has VGA...so, trying to kill 2 birds with one stone...would this work?:

for the older TV:
    connect Apple VGA connector to ipad 2, then connect a VGA to component cable to the VGA connector, and go into older TV's component input

for the projector:
    connect Apple VGA connector to ipad 2, then connect VGA cable to projector's VGA input