Wireless modem; changing WEP to WPA2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I've used a wired modem forever. I like wires I guess. My internet provider, Surewest, recently gave me a wireless modem as well as a wired modem. I use the wired modem but may start using the wireless.
    The wireless is set up for WEP security. I understand WPA2 is the way to go for better security.
    Do I change from WEP to WPA2 in the modem or in my iMac? I have a mid 2007 Al iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I currently use the wireless modem for my Kindle, my only wireless device. Thanks for any help or advice on this.
    Morod

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

You understand correctly, WPA2 is the way to go.

The change from WEP to WPA2 must be made in the device providing the network, in this case the modem. The other devices will have to change to WPA2 as well when joining the network.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You just change the security setting on the router. You'll probably have to re-enter your password when you want to connect a device to the wireless network, but after that it should behave exactly as it did with WEP.

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the quick replies! A follow up question:
    The modem is an EnGenius 802.11 b/g router. I don't see any external switches on it to change it to WPA2. So I guess I turn on the iMac Airport wireless, let it locate the modem, then switch it to WPA2 in the network preferences of the iMac?
    Sorry for the (probably) neophyte question. Wireless is pretty new to me.
    Thanks again!

5. simsaladimbamba

Look into the manual for that router, it explains how to set it to WPA2, as it is not a switch, but a setting you set internally via the web interface the modem might provide.
    If you remember how you set up the current wireless LAN, then repeat those steps and just change it to WPA2.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Won't work.

The network preferences on your iMac will not update the EnGenius. You need to change the network preferences on the modem. There is no physical switch for that, but probably a special webpage provided by the modem.

Did you get any kind of documentation with the device?
    Have you tried asking Surewest for guidance/directions?
    Do you have a more specific model number?

7. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks everyone.
    The Surewest installer set it up when he did the original install. No model number on the modem. No manual given me.
    I guess contacting Surewest is the next step.
    At least I know what direction to go next.
    Again, thanks for all the help. It is very much appreciated.

8. samh macrumors 6502

Yes.

Additionally, you may have to tell your Kindle to "forget" the existing Wireless Network connection or remove the connection settings entirely. I don't know the precise command because I don't have a Kindle. But it will probably be upset at the change in encryption. Once you remove it, reconnect with the new WPA2 settings and you should be fine.