Wireless Modem Dying...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by doubledee, May 21, 2012.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I have a circa 2008, white MacBook. Upgraded to Snow Leopard last year, and my current HDD was installed in Nov 2011.

For the last 4-6 weeks, my Internet conenction dies out, and when I yo-yo my Wireless Conenction is goes gray.

The only way to fix it, is to do a Full Re-boot. (This usually happens when I have all of my apps open and am in the middle of Casey Kasem's Countdown, meaning I lose like 5-7 minutes shutting down and getting back up again!)

Looks like I just wasted $100 and an entire day of my life installing a new HDD only to find out that my Wireless Connection is still dying out, requiring a full re-boot to get it to work again.

I am sooo PISSED right now... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyways, on to my question...

Is it true that you can buy a portable Wireless Modem, plug it into your USB port, and should be able to access Free Wi-fi spots like with the normal built-in modem? (Or is it not that simple?)

Considering that I am unemployed right now, and stranded away from home, I would really be ********* if I lose the ability to access the Internet and look for work... :eek:

I am in *Crisis Mode* right now...

It infuriates me to no end that I dropped like $2,000 on a top-of-line MacBook back in 2008/2009, and a few years later is it all but worthless...

(For as much as I hate PC's and Windows, at least I never had issues with them like I'm having with this MacBook.)

Used to be a new HDD and re-install of your Op-Sys could fix about anything...

Any suggestions to save my butt would be welcomed right now.

Thanks,

Debbie

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Wait wait wait, so you installed a new hard drive to fix your wireless problem?

Thats kinda like saying the underground gas pipe is leaking, i'll just buy a new water faucet, that should fix it.

Why dont you go to your nearest apple store, and tell them your situation, they could check it out whats wrong and probably for free.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Don't be so naive...

Anyone who knows anything will tell you that if your Op Sys gets corrupted, and/or you have plist file issues, IT WILL cause the issues I am having...

1.) Because last year it fixed the problem...

2.) Because it isn't under warranty

3.) Because I am not surrendering a laptop fully loaded

4.) Because it would cost me more to fix than it would be worth

5.) It is a documented fact that white MacBooks have f**ed up hardware related to the Wireless Modem. (Which is likely on the motherboard.)

Upgrading to Snow Leopard and a new HDD bought me 8 months last year, but looks like my time is running out.

Nonetheless, I'm not here to debate the issues I am having, but to look for an alternative solution (e.g. USB Wireless Modem)...

Debbie

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

it will work

http://www.belkin.com/search/?q=Wireless+Adapter&x=0&y=0

Oh and if you think your OSX is corrupted or bad HD, have you tried going into Disk Utility to repair permissions or check the SMART status?

Last time i had an issue with my wireless, it was the wireless modem's fault, not the computer

5. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

I would contact Apple support if I were you. It seems to be a really weird network problem when it can be solved by such arbitrary means as getting a new hdd.

6. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

How does an "add-on" wireless modem compare to a built in one?

It's not like I am sitting 5 blocks from Starbucks, but I would hope that such a device is strong enough to pick up Free Wi-Fi, which is what I am stuck using while away from home.

Anyone with actual experience with one of these?

I edited my OP. Check it out.

I said that I just spent most of today installing Snow Leopard on my *new* HDD.

Obviously there isn't an issue with my HDD or OS-X if I just installed them hours ago...

I have read online about lots of people having this issue, and like I said before, in the past it may have been a Software Issue, but it is obviously an issue with my Laptop's Hardware at this point.

And considering my case is cracked up and falling to pieces as well, this white MacBook is looking like quite the "lemon"...

See above.

Debbie