Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm searching for a wireless mouse and keyboard set. I was thinking about the S530 Mac by Logitech or a wireless Apple keyboard in combination with a simple logitech wireless mouse. While looking for pieces of information about the Logitech set I got divergent opinions concerning its qualtiy.
Anyone here having this set?

Are there any alternatives? Some media buttons on the keyboard would be nice to have.

Thanks a lot!

oyebto

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Singapore
Hey guys,

I'm searching for a wireless mouse and keyboard set. I was thinking about the S530 Mac by Logitech or a wireless Apple keyboard in combination with a simple logitech wireless mouse. While looking for pieces of information about the Logitech set I got divergent opinions concerning its qualtiy.
Anyone here having this set?

Are there any alternatives? Some media buttons on the keyboard would be nice to have.

Thanks a lot!

dunno much about the s530, but i do know that the apple BT mouse has maintenance issues so will do you good if you stay away from em

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Hey matzel. My suggestion is not to buy Logitech's S530 keyboard. I had one and hated it. It is nice looking and has some handy extra buttons but the keys are awful. I don't know if you mind about typing but I do a lot and S530 keyboard's keys are much worse than Apple's keyboards'. When you press them, sometimes they get stucked or they don't respond.

Personally, I am in the market for an external wireless keyboard too and I am waiting Apple to update their BT keyboard. I guess they'll make the keys black just to match the current product line. At least, I hope so. It is the best keyboard I've ever used in terms of keys responsiveness and elegance.

For the mouse I suggest Logitech's MX series. I had the MX1000 and loved it. Now I am about to buy Logitech's Performance Mouse MX.

I hope that helped.

ps: don't buy S530.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for ur honest statement. Do u think the keyboard will be updated soon? Whats the function of the button located at the right side of the keyboard?

In case I buy a Logitech mouse are extra buttons like forward and backward supported?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I have no problem with my S530.
All the buttons work (Except for the 3 buttons on the right side. I have no idea what they're supposed to do, and never needed them.)

And the buttons on the left side .Don't need those either.
I'm also in love with the mouse. The volume buttons on the mouse don't work (No idea why).

I think those buttons don't work because I don't have any drivers/etc installed to make the Keyboard work.

The USB dongle is also fairly small, and the range goes pretty far.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
- I don't even know if it will be updated but. I think it is a possibility and I will wait until the next hardware revision, maybe when they update iMacs (probably later this year and definitely in january).

- The button on the right turns the keyboard off, to save battery.

- Logitech delivers mac drivers for almost every mouse the make. So, yes, every button works.

Arkangil

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Not sure what computer you have, but I bought the Logitech Wireless Wave for Mac.

I am very happy with both keyboard and mouse, if you like that wave pattern.

I have one very major complaint though, which may force me to purchase another.

I have a uMBP. The USB receiver, while small, partially blocks the other USB port. So when I want to use this, and hook up my external monitor in the mini-dp slot, I basically have to forget I have the second USB. I can "sometimes" force my USB key to fit in the middle, but it is rare, and puts undo stress on both the Logitech receiver, and on the mini-dp plug.

If possible, I would recommend buying either a bluetooth solution, or one of Logitech's sets that supports their new "unifying" receiver. It is still USB, but it looks a lot smaller, and hopefully will not impact the second USB port. Although I cannot confirm as I haven't seen it in action.

Of course, all that is assuming you are in the same boat I am, with the uMBP. I am sure you wouldn't have this problem with an iMac or Mini.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I've got the old style Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a Logitech MX 900 Bluetooth mouse (neither of which is sold any more). This combination works very well for me. Most of the new wireless Logitech mice want you to use a USB dongle, but this one does native Bluetooth right to the Mac. I use the cradle it came with to recharge the mouse, but didn't plug it into my Mac.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Of course, all that is assuming you are in the same boat I am, with the uMBP. I am sure you wouldn't have this problem with an iMac or Mini.

Indeed I'm on the same boat.

I'll give the Apple wireless keyboard a closer look and maybe the Logitech MX 1100as my new mouse?!

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Indeed I'm on the same boat.

I'll give the Apple wireless keyboard a closer look and maybe the Logitech MX 1100as my new mouse?!

try the VX nano or the V550. If you don't need a wireless but still want a keyboard, try out the Logitech illuminated keyobard, i like it and have been very happy with it.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I actually do need a wireless keyboard because I'm planning to use it on the desk as well as on the sofa being 2,5m away from the Macbook and LED screen.

I think I'll buy the expensive Apple keyboard, so now I just need a nice wireless mouse like the mx 1100.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
I actually do need a wireless keyboard because I'm planning to use it on the desk as well as on the sofa being 2,5m away from the Macbook and LED screen.

I think I'll buy the expensive Apple keyboard, so now I just need a nice wireless mouse like the mx 1100.

sounds like a plan, the thing that stinks is that apple's blue tooth keyboard is not a full keyboard, so as long as that works for you, aces.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
50% done! ordered the bluetooth keyboard today!

Anyone using the MX 1100? I think I'll pick a normal size mouse, not a notebook one because it's only for use at home when the MBP is in its mstand.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Mighty Mouse is back in the race again! I could get it quite cheap in combination with a Crumpler Golden Dig XL for like 130€ (equals app. 188$).

Anyone using such a nice bag? It was recommended in my local apple store.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm goind to buy the mighty mouse tmw.

Thanks for your advice!

Hope you have better luck than I did. Scroll ball function totally died after about a year and that was after repeatedly having to clean it thoughout the year--pretty well documented problem if you search around the web.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
DONT BUY THE MIGHTY MOUSE!!!!!!
Two of mine had bad scroll balls within 6 months of use, and going through the iMacs at school, about half of them have bad balls (hehe) as well.

At home, I use a Logitech MX Revolution (I'll bet you can get a good deal on it now that there is the MX Anywhere Performance) and a Logitech DiNovo Mac Edition (make sure it's the Mac edition). Total price from amazon.com US$124.84. I paid around $190 and I don't regret either decision. The mouse is amazing aside from the battery life, but you only have to plug it into the dock about once per week, and the keyboard, while not silent, is very quiet and has great feel. It also has the number pad and goes to F19, both of which were deciding factors between for me between it, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, and the Logitech diNovo edge mac edition.

matzel88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Bought the Mighty Mouse and the Crumpler bag today even cheaper than expected.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
The bad scroll balls can normally be fixed if you mash down and roll the ball while pressed down (all different ways)...it's normally just something (dust/dirt) down in there that is in the way. (sometimes this may take a few tries...try not to throw it across the room in anger)

I have a question though...
I have a power pc g4 mac mini...yes, it's old.
It doesn't have bluetooth/wireless. I bought a mac wireless keyboard and mouse...and a rocketfish bluetooth adapter/dongle.
I obviously bought the wrong adapter/dongle...because it's not working.

Suggestions?...
Should I make a new thread?

Edit:
I found a bluetooth adapter that worked...so nevermind. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.