Wireless mouse with wired keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ks-man, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be getting an iMac pretty soon. I need to get a wired keyboard since I want the numeric pad. Does it make sense to get the wireless mighty mouse if I have a wired keyboard? I realize much of it is a matter of preference, but I'm wondering what most people around here have.

Thanks.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I think you will find most people aren't fans of the mighty mouse.
    I personally like it and would use one with the wired keyboard, as I use the number pad.

I use the bluetooth version of the logitech mx revolution, part of the mx5500 package.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

There's no reason not to. Personally, I love the Might Mouse, but only when the damned scroll ball doesn't vapor lock...

4. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it sounds like in general, the complaints with the wireless mighty mouse have to do more with the mighty mouse issues (scroll ball) rather than the wireless issues.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i love the MM.

and yes it makes a lot of sense

the keyboard being wireless makes less sense than a mouse.

you will be actually moving the MM around.

i have had the same MM that has been in use since '06 and as long as you aren't playing in the mud or getting paint on the scroll ball - it works fine!

(my girlfriend is an art major soo hers needs periodic cleaning).

the wireless MM has worked fine for her as does the keyboard.

i will be upgrading to a wireless version as soon as i find either someone to trade with on craigslist (2 wired for 1 wireless) or decide to get one at the Apple store one day when i'm up at Lenox.

Trust me, coming from a mechanic (with never clean hands) unless you abuse or don't wash your hands - the MM should be fine.

6. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I use an Apple wired keyboard (without the number pad) and a wireless Mighty Mouse. I love them both. In my opinion, the MM has the best feel of any mouse out there. I actually like the click of the wired MM more than the wireless, but they are almost identical.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I use a regular Logitech Bluetooth mouse since I use XP and need that middle wheel and button.

8. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Dont forget that you would free up a USB port on the apple keyboard if you went with a wireless mouse.

9. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

i love the wireless mighty mouse, the only issue is the scroll ball locking really easily but it is just as easily fixed by giving it a quick wipe with some cloth for a few seconds and then its as good as new!

10. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Yes it is a personal preference but really you can use either with either. I found that I was going thru a lot of batteries and changed my mouse back to wired. But if you don't mind changing batteries every 3-4 weeks then it really does not matter what you chose. I use presently both wired KB and Mouse but I had it as wireless KB and wired mouse for a while.

11. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I was using a wired aluminum keyboard with a wired mighty mouse and recently made the switch to wireless. I liked the mighty mouse but wanted to try something different so I went with the logitech vx nano. Its a great mouse and the wireless reciever is so small that it is completely hidden when plugged into the wired keyboards usb port so it feels just like a mighty mouse in the fact that there is no visible dongle.

12. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised the batteries need to be changed that frequently. I was hoping to get 10-12 weeks out of it before needing to change them. How many batteries does it take? Also, is the mouse all or none with batteries or do you start to see performance decrease before the batteries are completely dead?

13. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

2AA batteries, though i got my mighty mouse 2 weeks ago and the battery level is still full, depends on how much you use it really

14. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I think wired keyboard + wireless mouse is quite common. That's what I have at home, at work, and some of my friends do it too.

Not sure about the Mighty Mouse (I hate the design) but take a look at Microsoft's selection of "long battery life" mice (they have a category on their website for them) - they last 6 months on 2 AA. My Logitech MX Revolution lasts a couple days on a charge.

15. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Well it depends on how much you use your computer. Mine is used constantly as I run a ebay business and I am constantly using it plus for my email and of course surfing so it is on all the time. So I go through batteries fast. You might not go through them like me and it could be they will last you a few months. Maybe even 3 depending on how you use your Mac.