Wireless multiroom setup

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kallun, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kallun macrumors newbie

I would like to add speakers to a newly decorated room very far from my receiver (room 2).
    Currently I have two wired speakers from my receiver which in turns receive an optical cable from the computer in room 1.

I have a Time capsule as my main router and one Airport express set up as an extension of the network. So the signal is ok in all rooms

Any suggestions for speakers in room 2 that can be combined with my current setup and play in sync? Preferably wireless but I could also buy a third Airport express to plug into the speakers however I have heard that the more access points You have the worse Your WIFI network performs.

Alos could I but an Apple TV instead of another Airport express as they are similar in price and the former can be used for more things?

Thanks for all suggestions!

/K

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

The Expresses don't need to be set up as access points in order to be used for audio streaming. If you configure them as clients instead, they can simply join your existing network. Works great.

3. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up 2 sets of audioengine a2's and plugged one set to a express and they sound great! You could even take it a step further and get a audioengine d1 dac and go from the optical mini plug out on the express to the optical in on the dac then RCA to the speakers. But the speakers will do both RCA and 3.5 mm jack

I never thought about the many expresses causing issues with wifi. I have 2 expresses and 2 extreme's, maybe I will set the express to just do AirPlay.

4. kallun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Client mode is a great idea. Does anyone know if an aTV would work instead of an Airport express?

I did have a look at the Audioengine A5´s which seems good. Are the A2s a significant step down?

Also! Would airplay speakers work well with my current speakers which are wired from the receiver or would the sound be out of sync if I play both sets?

/K

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

If my memory serves me correctly, the current AppleTV only have optical out. Depending on your choice of speakers, that may definitely be an issue. Haven't personally tried a headless aTV yet.

Unless your receiver is introducing a delay, the sound should be in sync. I'm playing music on my computer and in three other rooms via Airport Expresses, all in sync. Very nice to be able to walk from one room to another without losing the background music.

6. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

The a2's sound amazing for the size, I have not listened to the a5's, but the reason I didn't get then was lack of RCA input.

An atv with optical to the d1 dac, then to a2's would be slick. Just depends on the size of the room. I have my mini server out to the d1, then to the a2's in my office and it's plenty loud fro that room.

7. kallun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers. The room is fairly large so maybe a5´s would be better. but You strongly advice a DAC between the airports and the speakers? Are they not active or only not good enough without the DAC?

I see no reason why my receiver would induce a delay so guess it would work.

Thanks again and more speaker options would be appreciated!

/K

8. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

the DAC would be needed if going optical from the ATV or express, but if you go express to a 3.5 to RCA to the A5's, you should be fine.

the DAC does seem to give a better sound, im by no means an expert, so my review is very subjective, and may have some placebo effect...lol

9. kallun thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Tha A5+ are now here and connected to the AE, The sound is surprisingly good!

Thinking about buying an external DAC (instead of the AE built in DAC). Any more opinions on what sort of improvemets I could expect from doing that??

Thanks!

/K