Wireless music system using itunes/airtunes/time capsule/iphone/etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benemm, Dec 3, 2009.

1. benemm macrumors newbie

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster, so any help much appreciated. I can't find anything that answers my question here, or elsewhere online so fingers crossed.

I have a dream. Its not a very complex dream, but a dream nevertheless.

I currently have a mac laptop, with some music on itunes, but have resisted ripping my entire CD collection as I don't really like listening through the speakers. Just got an iphone, and am excited by the 'remote' application though, and it has reignited 'the dream' of a wireless music system.

Ideally I'd like to be able to control a large itunes collection using my iphone and laptop. But I'd like to be able to play it, without needing to have the laptop on if necessary.

Would a time capsule and airport express be able to set this up? The time capsule to store the music, airport express so i can use airtunes direct into a speaker.

If yes, thats good. But I've read bad things online about the life expectancy of both time capsule and airport express. As this isn't cheap, I'd rather do it once and get it right, rather than have to replace things in 18months time.

Any advice much appreciated - thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. You need a computer to act as a server. I'd get a Mac Mini server and put iTunes on there. You won't need AirPort Express or the Time Capsule, although you would still probably want some sort of backup solution for your MacBook.

3. benemm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

The price seems a little steep - whilst I am an Apple fan, I'm not a fundamentalist, so so would happily use third party equipment if it would bring costs down. £800 (i'm in the UK) seems a little steep for a residential server. Any thoughts?

Thanks

4. coops macrumors regular

www.sonos.com

Put all your music on a time capsule, and Sonos can use it a your music server. You can also use your own iphone i believe.... as well as the Sonos controller.

You can choose to have the 'receiver' in any room to be with a built in amp (so only needing speakers to work) or receiver only to pass on signal to a home hi-fi system or home theatre system (like my Kef KIT100).

You'll be plugging a wireless transmitter to your time capsule also - it sets up another wireless network aprt from any you might already have... far less configuration issues and no issues with bandwidth.

No lag controlling your music either....very good indeed, but not very cheap.

Coops