Wireless music throughout condo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by preyan, Dec 19, 2013.

1. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Hi guys,

Anyone's advice will be appreciated.
    Want a wireless setup thought out apartment. I recently invested in the fantastic Bose Soundtouch speakers that connect via wifi.

Want to know whether the AirPort Extreme/Airport Express will be best or what?How do they actually work?

Thanks

2. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

My understanding is that one of the major features of the SoundTouch line is that they have AirPlay built in. You don't need an Airport Express. Simply select the speakers from your Mac or iOS device and it plays. This capability is part of the premium price you paid. I'm not sure how much Apple gets for the licencing, but it means some speaker manufactures are implementing bluetooth only solutions. Kilpsch has a similar line, that use to have Airplay and now only bluetooth. The plus with the bluetooth solution is it's Android friendly and they implemented a speakerphone function, which I'll admit is pretty cool. On the other hand, AirPlay allows multiple speakers to play simultaneously. Currently you can only do this from a computer as it's unavailable from an iOS device, but you can use an iOS device to run Remote and then control a Mac to send music to multiple AirPlay speakers. I do this with my Mac Mini. Sending music from my iPhone to AirPlay speakers is the only way I listen to music anymore. I've got two Airport Express's and a Yamaha reciever with built in AirPlay.

3. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

Thanks for my prompt reply. Really appreciate it.
    The bose speaker is stunning. Yes. It has built in Airplay and that is a dream however, only one device at a time can connect.

I am basically looking for something where I can play music from one iOS device and I would like it to wirelessly play to all wireless speakers in the condo. (I can always turn off individual ones).

Any advice? Bose Soundtouch is a dream, I highly recommend it.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Have a look at Sonos.

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I'd also suggest Sonos. I have two zones in my house now, but I'm planning to expand it to three more zones. The system is awesome, and you can easily play music in just one room, two rooms, the whole house, whatever combination you feel like.

I know that doesn't help with your particular situation as you've already bought the Bose system, but I just wanted to spread my joy of Sonos.

I just wish the Sonos components were slightly cheaper.

6. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I'll offer another vote for Sonos. I have been using it for about two years, and it has been flawless.

7. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Only one of the Bose Soundtouch speakers can connect at a time? That sounds very surprising to me. There must be a way to get them all playing simultaneously, the way you want. I wonder if you just missed some setup step?

This article (cnet.com says the Soundtouch system basically competes with Sonos (i.e. has similar features). I didn't read the whole thing but maybe it has some clues to setting up your system. It says all you need is a Wi Fi network set up, which I assume you have...

8. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

From an iOS device, yes, you can only send to one set of AirPlay speakers. From a Mac you can choose multiple speakers. It sounds like Sonos gets around this using some of their own voodoo.

9. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

10. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Ahhh, thanks for that. I use the Remote app on the iOS device to control my iMac (with my full music library) to send to multiple speakers. I never thought to try mult. speakers directly from the iOS device because it happens that I have very little music on it.

11. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

Yeah. Wifi setup at home. From what the other user said, appears a Mac will allow multiple speaker to airplay :cool:

----------

Thanks for this. About to update Mac!! :D

12. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, Sonos creates its own mesh network. That's how it can sync up to 64 devices at once. I have 4 devices in one long room with seamless sound.

13. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Sonos is good but you will need a model with an input that you can connect an Apple Airport Express to for airplay to be seamless and easy.

If you want to save a few dollars, or you do not have a model with an input, and you have a spare computer and some spare time, you can use XBMC to create a radio station that can play over your network. In addition to XBMC you will also need on OSX a program like Rogue Amoeba Nicecast. If using a Linux machine you can use Darkice instead of Nicecast. Sonos would then need to have the radio station url and you'd have to select to play the station.

Airplay isn't exactly necessary with Sonos for it to be useful.

14. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

15. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I have always been a big fan of Airplay via airport express however since ios7 removed the ability to stream to multiple airport express simultaneously I would go Sonos. My next home with have a Sonos speaker in every room. For now the surround sound system with airplay for my living room and Apple TV for AirPlay in the bedroom works well for me