Wireless N - 1 GB takes 6 hours to install !!! D-Link DIR-655 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kittychan, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Kittychan macrumors regular

I am having the problem with my wireless performance... I have DIR-655 and iMac and Macbook connected wirelessly.

When I try to transfer a movie from my macbook which is only 2 meters away from my iMac and the router is just next to the Macbook. Everything is in one small room.

Anyone has this issue with this?

I check on the router transmitting rate. my imac and macbook transmit about 107mb/sec but it is very slow when you transfer something from one mac to another especially to my appletv !!!

2. garybUK Guest

garybUK

There's a couple of things you can do to try and speed it up,

In the Manual Wireless setup, set it to 802.11n only, also try setting the channel to a non-overlapping channel (i believe it's 1-6-11)

You can download some wifi scanning software to see if there are other wifi networks close by that are interfearing with your network and thus slowing it down.

3. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

I reseted my router updated firmware played around with it, now I get about 2mb/sec when I transfer my movie to appletv. However I feel it is slow I thought Wireless N can go up to 300 but so far my max transmit rate is 130 !!!

Any thought?

Or should I just ditch this thing and buy Airport extreme ??

4. cube macrumors G4

The network can go up to 300 only when it is configured as N-only, if it is mixed it will go up just to 100-something.

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

300mbps in 5ghz wide channel mode (don't work in the UK).

Don't get the apple, stick to the DIR655 the router part far exceeds anything any of the apple offerings offer.

6. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

Umm, I set my router ti Wireless N only and iMac cannot receive 300 at all, max is 130... Maybe the iMac does not support 300 with Dlink

Check on the website because Airport extreme offers 5ghz that is why iMac can take 300 so far Dlink does not offer 5ghz only 2.4..

How come you cannot use it in UK?

7. cube macrumors G4

Different countries have different wireless spectrum regulations.

8. PLin macrumors 6502

The router definitely needs 5GHz wide band for Macs to connect at 300 Mbit/s. I went through multiple routers, including the Belkin N1 Vision and D=Link DIR-655 before I finally spent the money to buy the Airport Extreme.

I just couldn't get decent performance on the Belkin or D-Link, since they didn't support 5GHz. D-Link now makes some dual band routers, but they are very expensive. I'm not sure if D-Link's new routers support wide band on 5GHz though, but they probably do.

9. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

I see, but still cannot you buy the airport extreme and turn that option on?

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Don't spout specifications on websites without checking first! UK Law doesn't allow anything transmitting in the 40mhz freq so you can't get 300mbps!

So your stuck with 130mbps, sorry.

11. cube macrumors G4

If a frequency is not allowed, it would be very illegal to support or use it.

12. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

I will have to check on New Zealand regulation.. But I will illegally do it anyway when I get my Airport extreme !!!

Dont tell anyone :p

Update: Due to regulatory limitations, AirPort Extreme achieves only 2.5x the performance in Austria, Estonia, Germany, Japan, Latvia, Slovakia, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

So I am happy :) :) :)

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Indeed! get any Pre-N 5ghz or Dualband routers and you'll get 300mbps.....

14. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

Any suggestion apart from Airport extreme? I think I will stick with Apple since I have converted myself to Steve Job's world !!!

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

16. Kittychan thread starter macrumors regular

Very interesting, but I cannot seem to find Dlink 855 in Nz just yet !!! Another good news is I can use my postgrad student ID to get a discount for Airport Extreme :D