Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I recently bought this 2.33ghz MBP and I was about to purchase the wireless n enabler until I went to Network utilities and saw this "802.11a/b/g/n." According to the Apple site, if I see this, wireless n is already enabled. Don't see how that could have happened... I haven't purchased a new router or anything. (I'm still using an old Belkin b router.) Do the latest MBP models come with already enabled wireless n? If that's true then why don't the online specs say that?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
My MBP seems to have already been "enabled" as well. It was bought about a month ago.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
802.11n was already built into MBPs, but not enabled until a firmware patch of some sort enabled it in the last couple months or so.
Clearly the image used on the new MBPs were updated as much as possible before shipped.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
since the enabler and 802.11n airport extreme base station came out, all new shipping macs that had the n-draft wireless were enabled.

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
And if you still aren't convinced go to Applications>Utilities>Network Utility.
Select from the drop-down menu "(en1)". At the bottom of the page that comes up it should say "(802.11 a/b/g/n)".

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
sweeet!

still kinda puzzling why they wouldn't update their specs though...

oh well im not complaining :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
My MBP seems to have already been "enabled" as well. It was bought about a month ago. A colleague's MacBook boought two weeks ago also has it anbled out of the box (he didn't even know what "n" was).

Shame too. Like a dolt, I bought the enabler before actually checking to see if I already had it. I had assumed that since I never bought the enabler separately nor ran it, my MBP didn't have it yet!

Dice-K

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
Calgary
My Macbook also has the wireless N enabled and I didn't do a thing to get it except maybe a firmware update, thats all. So MacBooks should also be enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.