Wireless N and Wirless N Routers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jovian9, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I just bought a new Core 2 Duo iMac and it has Wireless 'n' already enabled. I've already got a wireless network running smoothly but not 'n'. I'm streaming music/video to both my :apple: TV and Xbox 360 so speed of this network does matter to me. Is the speed increase of the 'n' over 'g' significant? The router I'm looking at is $100 for wireless 'n' so I don't want to spend that if theres not a significant speed boost. I'm not speaking technically either....I'd like to know from the experiences some of you have with this change to 'n'.

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wireless-N is definitely faster and more reliable than Wireless-G, at least in my limited testing with my fairly new Apple Airport Extreme with Wireless-N. However, it suffers from the same disadvantages Wireless-G has, namely that walls and other obstructions tend to degrade the signal.

3. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

That's definitely good information as I have my wireless router in the basement next to my Xbox 360 and we use our MacBook Pro and iMac upstairs. Normally we get 3 out of 4 bars with the current 'g' router, but sometimes that drops to 2 or 1, but we always have a signal. I'm not sure I want to risk degrading the signal at all.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Try streaming. Streaming works fine for me over a g network with a poor signal, including HD videos. The only benefit you'll see moving to n is in copying large files between computers. (Which includes syncing, but not streaming to your :apple:tv.)