Wireless N for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jgbr, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Hi Folks
    I am wanting to buy a Wireless N USB adapter for my newish Mac Mini.

Can i just buy a normal wireless N usb adapter (off the shelve) or do i have to hunt for something special?

Am looking at:

Belkin F5D8051UK 300Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Linksys WUSB300N 300Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter

I wonder if just plugging it in would work?

2. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

Are there any Apple Authorised Service Providers in your area?
    Because through them, you can buy the internal Airport N card for a MBP and it fits perfectly inside the Mac Mini, so you'll have N without needed an external card.
    An Apple Store won't do this for you though, you will have to go through a Service Provider.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm...

Isn't the installation for that a little complicated? I remembering it not being easy to even install ram in a mini.

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It'd be expensive ;)

To the OP - while it's a cheap option, to do this, most Wireless USB sticks don't just work.

My girlfriend had one for her iBook (802.11G, not -N), and the config utility was horrific.

The best bet is to either try, and see - especially if the retailer has a good returns policy.

The other option is the Apple Store online - they used to offer some good wireless USB sticks. Or were they just Bluetooth? I'm confusing myself now ;)

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It depends on whether there are drivers for them. Most aren't compatible. There are a couple that are, but I don't believe Belkin or Linksys USB adapters are (last time I checked).

The only one I can think of offhand is http://www.quickertek.com/products/n_nano.php

I believe there's at least one more, but I can't remember what it is.

Most (or all) USB wireless N adapters are 2.4GHz only, so you don't get to use the 5GHz band (lower interference, less signal drop with distance)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian