Wireless-N gigabit Router with Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bunker, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Bunker macrumors member

I had read through the manual for Airport Extreme and it doesn't look like it can be a NAT.

Have anyone tested any other 3rd party wireless-N router with gigabit network that will work well with iMac's wireless-N adapter?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Doesn't the very definition of a router require it to do NAT? It has to translate external addresses into internal addresses. I'm not a big proponent of the APX, but I'm pretty sure it can do NAT or else it wouldn't work as a router at all. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though.

3. Bunker thread starter macrumors member

No.

Not all routers allow you to do port forwarding or DMZ or port trigerring.

And, wireless-N works best with product from same manufacturer. Trying to match different manufacturer will not yield the best performance of the N-spec.

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

OK now this makes a little more sense. You're mixing up terms. NAT is not the same as port forwarding. Port forwarding is a specific feature of NAT, and yes all routers have to at least have basic NAT, but you are right in saying they don't necessarily have to have port forwarding...although I've personally never seen one without it.

As for port forwarding, you can indeed do that with the APX, although I believe it's rather basic. Go to "Advanced", then the "Port mapping" tab. I don't know about DMZ or port triggering.

5. Bunker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate!

Does it has DDNS support too?