Wireless N, is there really a massive difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marold280, May 13, 2009.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

I'm getting a uMacbook soon (YAY) and it has wireless N. I've been using wireless G on my white macbook, and would like to know if there is really that much difference.
    Our router doesnt support N atm. Would it be worth getting an airport extreme?
    Thanks (i dont search btw:))

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If all you are doing is connecting to the internet then, no, it makes no difference.

3. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

do you mean speeds? my g router only gets around 1200 k transfers between computers does n get like 5000??

4. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

I mean range. is it really like twice the range ?

5. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I think the range is twice as much as Wireless G.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Can be. Its actually quite effective in range. The 5GHz band has less interference as well.

7. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Yeah you get less interference because there are less devices operating on the N protocol.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. DPB17 macrumors 6502

I don't think so but it doesn't really make much of a difference. If you're worried about range you can get wireless G+ routers.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All MBs have been draft n since late 2006.

12. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Oops, didn't realize that thanks.

13. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Yeah, the range is much better and also if you're transferring files within a network, you'll see a huge improvement. An AirPort Extreme operating in N-only 5ghz mode can rival (and theoretically surpass) 100Mbit ethernet.

14. RDM3 macrumors regular

Im still using 802.11b and it works fine but I don't do much but connect to the Internet, I thought about getting an N but I don't know if I would see a big difference

15. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Wireless N has dramatically increased my backup times and internet speed as a whole. I am unsure if you will see the difference if you are bottlenecked by your ISP, however.

16. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

wow. got home today to find a netgear router has replaced our old one. and it has N ! YES!
    Just have to get the MacBook now ;)

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Gamming on Wireless N 5.0ghz
    is almost as fast as direct connection. Very long latency / interference.

Wireless N works through 2 exterior walls, but not 4 exterior walls at my current location.

18. Toofan macrumors member

Technically...

On paper, N networking is a huge step up from G and it's predecessors. In all practicality, you won't notice a huge difference (if any) with respect to surfing the net. There are other limiting components. You're only as fast as your slowest component.

19. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

This is so true. I upgraded to N from G when I got my macbook a few weeks ago and didn't notice much of a difference at all. Not until I noticed that my internet speeds were the same BUT my network file transfer speeds were significantly faster. (700mb dvd quality move went from 25 min to 10 min). So I called up my ISP and had a long conversation with them and it turns out that they hadn't upgraded the internet speed and bandwidth in my area to account for the N's speed. So I got them to hurry it up. 3 days later they finally finished and now there is a significant improvement in my internet speed.

Surfing the internet, you won't notice the difference all that much. But downloading files and streaming movies/tv shows (hulu anyone?!) will be better. My torrent files are even downloading faster. :) Yay!