Wireless N Networking - Which Router to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrownPlopz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

OK, so a few months ago, I purchased a MBP, and from then until now, I've been using my old wired Asante router, and I'm getting pretty sick of it now. So I've decided to look into wireless networking, specifically Wireless N. Now, this isn't my first time looking into the subject, in fact, about two months ago, I got a Dlink Wireless N Router, but, it was a lemon, and me, being the clueless idiot I am, lost the receipt, so TigerDirect wouldn't take it back. Anyway, after two months of being back on a wired connection again (although, really, I never DID leave wired for wireless due to the faulty Dlink) I truly am tired of not being able to go around the house, or at least to the other end of the room and still use the internet, despite the fact that I have a notebook computer, and purchased it for that purpose (and many others) specifically.

So, I've turned to the forums for some buying advice on which router to get. I'm specifically interested in the AEBS (AirPort Extreme Base Station), for the printer/external hard drive sharing, but am a bit cautious to buy, because of all the negative ratings people have been giving it on Apple's website. I'm also open to any other router, too. Thanks!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have the Time Capsule and I love it. It was extra easy to set up and I have my printer, my external HD, my Macbook, my wife's Macbook, my son's Macbook using it and my HP desktop connected to it(about to change the HP eventhough it has been a decent desktop for what I use it for). It has worked extremely well. Needless to say I highly recommend it. If you are a student/teacher you can buy it for $279 instead of the regular price of $299 through Apple.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have a d-link and really do like it. Sounds to me that you just got unlucky. If i was to buy a new router now i would look for a wireless N with gigabit ports.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The DLink routers don't always play well with Macs. I would recommend an Airport Express.

5. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

OK, it looks (so far) like I'll be looking into the AEBS further, but, obviously, I'm not just gonna stop with 3 replies. So please, post your recommendations, as I am open to anything. Still, thanks!

6. harodude macrumors regular

I use a Dlink DIR-655 wireless N router at one of my houses. It meets all of my requirements as I transfer large HD video files accross the network through the built in 4 port gigabit switch. The signal is amazing on the MacBook pro when I connect wirelessly.

All in all, this router is great for the price, and has some of the best uptime I've ever seen

Can be purchased at costco for about $100, and of course you
    Have their amazing warranty!

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The AEBS is pretty powerful. If you can find a website that lists the internal components and memory then compare it to others you'll see not many other routers can match it. It is expensive, but if you have another cheaper b/g router you can use both and set up the AEBS for N only and increase the speeds. When I get my MB I'll have the AEBS along with the WRT54GL I use now. It's a trusty, reliable router.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I had a D-Link 802.11n router and could not get connected to it because there was too much interference in my apartment (it worked fine at another location). The same is true for any other 2.4GHz router too, and so I needed something that would broadcast at 5GHZ. I bought a refurb Airport Extreme with Gigabit Ethernet and set it to 5GHz only and have not had a single problem since.

I recommend the Airport Extreme for mainly for this reason.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

The only router I will recommend is the AEBS. I have had zero issues with it and have my printer connected to it so I can print wirelessly from anywhere in the house, which is quite convenient. If you have some experience with wireless network, the AEBS will be cake to set up, but it took a little while for me to figure out how to get everything to work right (I had very very little experience with wireless networking). I've been connected to the internet for over 5 days straight and the AEBS hasn't hiccuped once (my cable modem did though). The AEBS is no doubt pricey, but it delivers.

10. cube macrumors G4

11. jeremy566 macrumors member

i have the Dlink DIR-655 wireless N router and love it i tried a netgear onw eith dual band i has the bluee light in the middle and i didnt like it does anyone know if this will help the signal and can it broadcast N D-Link Omni-Directional 7dBi Indoor Antenna

12. sacmacgenius macrumors newbie

The airport extreme base station works great!

I wish I could afford one i have the crappy dlink model that 2 people are talking about on here and just found out because it is not 5ghz that it can't do 300Mbs where as the airport will. It just costs more but it is better then most.

13. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

It's the DIR-615, and the Dlink tech support classified it as faulty, so they said if I sent it back to them with a proof of purchase and my ticket no. thingy, that they'd exchange it for me. Unfortunately, I misplaced the reciept, so I pretty much paid the 70 bucks it was worth at the time (now only 50) for a lemon that I can't exchange... :(

Anyway, on a more positive note, it looks like my two choices are the AEBS and the DIR-655. Thanks, and keep 'em comin!

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

This is why I buy things online. You can never lose an online receipt.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Conisdering this is a message board dedicated to Mac, I think most will recommend the AEBS like I have. While I'm biased and think most things Apple puts out are top of the line, I wouldn't hestitate recommending the AEBS to anyone in my family. Easy to set up, numerous things can be added to it, fast, compatible with both PC and Mac., ect.. It is the best router I have ever owned(I have owned 3 other brands and this one is the best).

Pay a little more now because it will be worth it later. Plus if you have Applecare with your computer the AEBS will be under warranty for the same amount of time without any additional charge.

16. BrownPlopz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh sweet! With that, I think I'm definately gonna get the AEBS! Thanks everyone!

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would definitely go with the Airport Extreme, but an excellent alternative is the Linksys WRT600N which offers dual-band.

18. eman macrumors 6502a

Go with the AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet. I've been running mine for about 4 months and no problems. I have my printer hooked up to my AEBS and it works great!

I had a Linksys wireless router and it lost connection on a daily basis and would have to be re-booted.