Wireless-N performance on metal uniBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bobgorila, Feb 8, 2011.

1. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

Hi,

I recently got a Linksys WAG320N router and its wifi speeds seem pretty slow. I get around 32Mbps (4MB/sec) when transferring a file from my wired Win7 server to my wireless MacBook (MacBook5,1).

When I wire in I get 240Mbps (30MB/sec), so it's not the server's problem.

I posted over on the cisco boards (router details ahoy!) but on the off-chance that it's a MacBook issue I figure I'd post here too.

So, what's the best speed you've seen out of your 2008 Metal Macbooks? I'm sure I've seen >60Mbps before, but I don't have any other equipment around to test.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Wireless N speeds of 600Mbps (75MB/s) are theoretically possible, however only under perfectly optimal conditions. It's the same with the other wireless standards. They claim very high speeds, but in fact you have to have perfect conditions to get anywhere near the claims.

3. bobgorila thread starter macrumors member

bobgorila

Thanks for the reply, but I know that.

As I said, I'm sure I've seen at least double what I am seeing. Just wondering if anyone can back me up? Maybe someone's getting a reproducible 50Mbps off their time capsule every day?

4. Genocyde macrumors member

Agreed. I get about the same speeds as you going from my win7 pc to my Mac going through a d-link wireless n router "extreme-n" with the 3 antennas just down the hall.