Wireless N problems with Macbook pro 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by earthdan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. earthdan macrumors member

Hello all,

It appears that my macbook pro (2009, 2.8 ghz, nvidia 9700/9400) is unable to connect to my wireless N network as an N device (WPA2). I would really appreciate if someone took the time to help me get it working with N again.

My mbp connects but my router (Dlink 615) is telling me that it is really connected as a G device. Unfortunately, this causes my whole network to only be a G network also. I have tried disabling G by setting to only N but my mbp does not connect at all, while all my other devices connect to N just fine (ipad and macbook). I have just tried a different router (linksys wrt310N) doing the same thing, but with the same result.

Is there a way to specify what wireless my mbp uses in system prefs or anything? It seems really strange that it only uses the g network and also that I havent noticed this before!

If anybody has any idea of how to solve this very annoying problem that would be great!

cheers,
    Dan

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Your MacBook Pro has the draft-n wireless protocol. Maybe your router uses the later spec. of 802.11n?

3. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply,

It may be draft N but I figured since my wife's macbook (early 2009) can connect to wireless N no problem, then I could also (late 2009 mbp).

cheers,
    Dan

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You definitely should be able to connect to the wireless N as an N device. Have you tried repairing disk permissions or running a program like DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2?

5. earthdan thread starter macrumors member

So I figured at least a solution for the problem although I can offer no explanation of why it works.

I went to my router page (both the dlink and linksys) and switched the wpa2 security to tkip and aes (before I had it set only to tkip for some reason). Voila, connected as an N device!

Thanks for the replies tho!

cheers,
    Dan