Wireless N router for macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jesusplay, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

well i made up my mind to get a macbook and i will be picking it up in less than a month:)

now i read on apples site that the macbook can recieve the wrieless N signal? is this true? my buddy told me that i would have to pay 1.99 to unlock the wireless N reciver inside the mac book!?!?!?!

and

i plan on using a D-Link Dir 615 and it has the wireless N router.
    it say it works with mac. Will the reciver in side the macbook accept the wireless N singal from the Dlink DIR 615?

i cant afford any mac routers....

2. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Emm your buddy is wrong. The first gen. of Core 2 Duos had to pay for such update (or buy the AirPort that came with a CD) This 802.11n draft has been standard and free of charge for a while now in MacBooks. As for the router I assume it would work, but I have connected in the past, it worked but I didn't set it up.
    Victor

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Macbooks with core 2 duo and Leopard OS X or wireless enabler will receive 802.11/N. Your macbook can receive any wireless N signal.

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

If the DIR-615 is anything close to the DIR-655 then you will need to have a hard-wire connect to configure it initially and to upgrade the firmware. That is all done through the browser. Otherwise, it should work fine for access.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This is true for all routers, firmware should only be upgraded while connected via ethernet. I have a DIR-655 and it works well, you won't have issues.

6. bocanila macrumors newbie

hi guy,

my first post in this forum, i really need your help, please!

well, i just turn my back on windows, giving up my beloved thinkads and purchased a macbook, c2d 2,4ghz. it runs abit hot but the OS is just how an OS should be!

the only problem i have is that i cannot connect it to the n wireless of the dir-655! even when the router is set to N only it still shows as connected to a G network, and perfoms the same, 1gb in 8 min...

is it a way to force it to connect using N mode? i have the 1.11 firmware on dir-655 and in the macbook i have the broadcom chipset, not the atheros.

any ideas, pelase?

thanks a million,
    dorin

7. Xtreambar macrumors regular

Wait, can I unlock Wireless-N on a Core Duo (bought August 2006) with that $2 upgrade? I thought that only C2D could use N signals.