Wireless N Router Recommendations Please...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wild-Bill, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Hi,

My sister has a black Macbook. My brother just got a new aluminum Macbook, base model. They also have a Windows XP PC I built for them a few years ago. Up until now they've been using a Netgear wireless-G router, located on the 2nd floor of their home. The signal does not provide full coverage on the first floor.

Since they are both using Macbooks with wireless-N, I'd like to get them upgraded to a wireless-N router. But there is one caveat. Their HP printer is connected via USB to the PC, and of course they cannot use it when the PC is off, or they must physically connect to the printer when they are upstairs.

I'd like some recommendations for a wireless-N router with a USB port that can act as a print server. I came across some reviews of a DLink, but apparently you need to run Windows software in order to see and use whatever is hooked up to the USB port.

I'd like something other than the Airport Extreme or Time Machine, as they are both overpriced and don't contain an SPI firewall. (why not??) At some point down the road I'm sure I'll install an external drive for them to make backups, but for right now I'd like a fast and range-capable N with a USB port for hooking up their printer. Also, it is possible to hook a USB hub to one of these routers for future expandability? If not I can always get them a single-bay NAS drive and hook up via Ethernet.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

2. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Anyone? :confused:

Anyone?? :confused:

Bueller? :confused:

Bueller? :(

Ferris Bueller ?? :(

3. cube macrumors G5

Check out the supported hardware page of DD-WRT. (not "Work In Progress")

4. cube macrumors G5

Yes, it actually works if it's version 1.0 (the American, not European). You can install Mega as it has 8MB of flash.

First you flash mini, then Mega. Then hardware reset the router before doing any configuration.

But it's not dual band.

5. cube macrumors G5

But I haven't tried it with USB.

I think there may still exist issues regarding printing.

6. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Other suggestions please? Keep them coming!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd prefer not to hack their router with DD-WRT if at all possible. If it was my own router, sure no problem.

Anyone else have any recommendations for a wireless-N router with a USB port used for printing??? And that is not an airport extreme or time capsule?

I cannot in good conscience have them buy the airport extreme as it is extremely overpriced and doesn't even include a firewall.

7. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah. Those USB's are for hard drives, and the DLINK's require a windows-only program to even get that access.

I was hoping someone was using a non-Apple router with a USB port for a printer that could tell me.

8. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

This Linksys may be what your looking for?

Linksys

The price is steep tho.

9. migsev macrumors regular

wireless-N routers seem pretty expensive to begin with. maybe you'll be better off buying the airport extreme for them then?

seems like they won't need a lot of added features anyway. one thing i used to do when buying tech-related things for my relatives was i'd think of how i'd use the device, which ended up in them getting things they really don't need. if the airport fits their needs and they're willing to pay for it...why not? :)

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While the Apple products don't have an SPI firewall, the print server function works quite well for both Macs and PCs, and configuration is nice and simple.
    The firewall built in to OS X I suspect is sufficient if indeed some hacker does get past the NAT.