Wireless N Speed low on 2009 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jony Mac, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I've been digging around and I see across the internet this seems common.

Why can't I get my Unibody MacBook to connect to my Cisco Wireless N router and get speeds above 130Mbps.

I've set it to Wireless N only, using WPA2 / AES encryption and changed the channels a few times. I've heard people state that if they use BootCamp they can get 300Mbps but only in OS X do they get 130.

Someone suggested using WEP encryption but I dont know how that would do much.

Has anyone else ran into this before? I should beable to get 300Mbps on a 2.4Ghz Wireless N spec router? Does using an Airport Base station even provide these speeds

2. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I forgot to note this also happens on my 2011 MacBook Air as well.

3. warrmr macrumors regular

Hi Jony,

I have found that this varies depending on your WAP rather than the macbook, If I connect to my Airport Extreme using the 5ghz network I can pull 300Mbps or it says it is connected at that.

Using my Mieraki MR12 my optimal speed is 144Mpbs and will drop depending on how many clients are using the radio. For example there are 5 devices currently connected and im showing connected at 39Mpbs but when my flatmate goes to bed the speed will increase.

If you have something like the MR16 or MR24 with the dual or triple radios you can get upto 900Mbps throughput on the wireless, this is the total for all devices same may apply for your Cisco AP.

Matt

4. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I have a Linksys E1200, which states does 300Mbps. I'm assuming there is nothing I can do about it?

Windows seems to detect it at 300Mbps but OS X (10.8) only sees 130Mbps.

5. Zori macrumors newbie

I have the same problem happened to my MacBook Air 2013 and Asus N56U (router).

I can connect N56U at 5Ghz and it is 300Mpbs, but when I connect at 2.4Ghz, only 150Mpbs is established.