Wireless 'n' upgrading help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EvanLugh, Jan 10, 2008.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Hey. So i bought the upgrade for my mac mini.
    Unfortunatly I get an error. Please see image below.

[​IMG]

I'll provide any information needed,

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Post some actually useful information: exactly what configuration Mac Mini (for example is it Core2Duo or just CoreDuo?). And post a sensible screenshot of the error: there is no way I can read that one.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Umm...I don't think mac mini's are N capable, just G. From the tech specs, "Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (based on 802.11g standard)"

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You may be correct. I thought that as Mac Minis now shipped with Core2Duo CPUs they would be N capable (as this was the cutoff for the newer cards when the enabler was released).

The enabler store page is a bit ambiguous. It states: "If you have a Mac with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac) or a Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme, you can enable it to access an 802.11n wireless network using the AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler software" which would indicate a Core2Duo Mac Mini would be acceptable, but then it states "These Macs have the 802.11n hardware built-in:
    MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo
    Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme option
    iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac)
    " which would indicate that Mac Minis are not supported.

To the OP: I think you may be out-of-luck: try contacting Apple for a refund...

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah, I agree with you: that's what the specs say. The store page seems to indicate otherwise though so I understand why the OP may have thought the enabler would work for him/her if they have a Core2Duo Mac Mini. It seems that the simplest thing to do would be contact Apple.

7. EvanLugh thread starter macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Thankyou for the replys. I thought the image was clickable therefore didn't think anything of it. And yerp, it's the latest C2D Mini.

Sucks, eh? How would i go about contacting them, because i've been waiting on the phone for 20 minutes (unusually) - is there an email form?
    Thanks anyway,
    kind regards.