Wireless-N: Worth It?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kwong2006, Jun 9, 2007.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

Is it worth it for me to buy a Wireless-N network for my home? I heard it is faster, but some here said it is not.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you should probably wait until it's not a draft anymore, but honestly..no point if you don't have all 802.11n devices.

i'd like to upgrade, but gigabit ethernet is so much more tempting and I have a mixed b/g environment that doesn't really matter to me.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ahhh gigabit ethernet. such sweet goodness. N is defidently faster longer range blah blah blah, but as said its still draft so wait.

What pisses me off is that the airport extreme is still 100megabit.

4. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Only do it if everything in your house is running wireless-n. If you only have one router in your place running n, it will step down if anything running g connects to it. Everything would run at g speed.

Otherwise you would need to run 2 routers. One running a n network and one running g.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

Actually that's a myth. What really happens is instead of falling to the theoretical max speed of 54mbps for 802.11g, the speed of the n-connected devices would become slower, but will not go as slow as g-speed.

6. Tacos! macrumors member

Unless you are constently moving large files over a network or have a extremely fast internet connection, I wouldn't recommend it. To be honest, if you have a decent wireless router, there is no point to upgrade at this time.
    -Justin