Wireless N

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, Mar 8, 2008.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hey guys, ive got a macbook pro penryn...which has wireless draft n...
    now my current router is broken and i need a new one...so naturaly i want to get an N router..
    BUT ive been hearing that the macbook pro has some issue with some routers so i dont really know which to choose...my budget is around $150 Australian...
    this is a really cheap shop in my area:
    http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&bid=4&id2=122

which out of those should i get?

ps: i (my family) will have 4 PCs connected to it. 1 through wired connection, 1 through wireless g, occasionally 1 wifi g laptop, my macbook pro, and a playstation 3

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

edit=reliability is my number 1 priority, then speed.

2. Wolvngelz macrumors member

I am currently afraid to run my MBP wirelessly if it's a Linksys router.

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

why's that? I'm currently on my third MBP and I've used all of them on my Linksys router w/o any issues at all.

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

You know when I first bought my MBP I had a Linksys wr 350N gigabit, its grey and black in color and worked superbly with my Dell XPS 1210. But I kept getting kicked off with my MBP. I mean alot I started getting really PO'd so I bought Apple's Wireless Extreme. I have not had a problem since the switch and I even got $100 for the old router. do research see what works for people then compare it to your needed criteria.

Cheers.

5. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've had tons of problems since upgrading to 10.5.2 and I'm using an Airport Extreme Base Station. I know it's the Mac side because streaming video works fine on my AppleTV. But I try to play it on this through iTunes and it goes about 4 seconds before giving me the ol' spinning beach ball. This doesn't occur when I plug an Ethernet cable directly in, but it sure does when I try to use wireless (even sitting 2 feet from the AEBS).

Having said that, I'd still get an AEBS. With N still being in the draft stage, you're more likely to have fewer problems with all Apple products than with someone else's.

7. JTK28 macrumors member

Same here, i have a Linksys WRT54G, and have not had a single problem connecting or staying connected.

8. wk127001 macrumors member

9. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

another thing,

the problem that im having with my router is as follows...
    i have a windows pc also wifi connected to the router...but when i connect with the macbook pro, the router drops connection to both pcs.
    when i try to connect just the macbook pro, sometimes i get REALLY annoying popups saying 'Wireless Network appears to have been compromised and will be disabled for a bout a minute'.....sometimes the connection would drop, and to regain connection, id have to turn of airport on the macbook and turn it back on...or else id get a timeout error.
    im running leopard 10.5.2
    i look around the net and it appears im not the only one...can anyone suggest why this i happening?and would a new router fix it?

10. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I've been using a Lynksys WRT-150N router since I got my 2.2 GHz MPB last June. The performance is great and I have had no problems. I've been running 10.5.2 for a while.

11. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what security are you using? WPA?or WEP?or none?
    with 'none' i get no problems at all

12. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I'm using WPA. However, my network is very simple. It's mostly just my MBP connecting through the router to the internet. Occasionally, I also connect a Windows XP laptop (802.11-G). It's been a while since I moved data between the MBP and the Windows machine, but it did work well when I was setting up the MBP. (I was running Tiger at that time.)

13. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i hear somewhere that if you run two computers, one in G mode and the other in draft n, the router will default to G speeds on both?true?
    cause then id feel no need to use N

14. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I second the vote on Linksys WRT150N. Got it for a good price, and after updating firmware (it was one of the first draft versions) I have had no problem running the MBP wireless with N, plus a wireless printer and PC. Download speeds on the MBP are as high as they are on my desktop with an ethernet cable.

15. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

doc smitty & KevinC867
    what security are you using? WPA?

and hows the range on that linksys?

im seriously considering it

16. tanjacob macrumors member

How about a G router? An typical one is 1/3 the price of a N router and you don't need to mix g and n devices. I think some N routers don't do well with mixed networks. The typical home internet connection may be a bottleneck, and you can always get a decent N (not draft) when it is ready some time later without being pressured to get one in a hurry.

17. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

This is true, at least with an AEBS (so I would also assume that is the case with most/all other routers as well). While it is great to have N running, if one or more other laptops using the router are actively running g, you will be downgraded to g download speed on your MBP. That said, the AEBS is likely to give you the best fit with the MBP and the others. I cannot speak to any of the other routers named.

18. Mott macrumors newbie

Go with a N capable router. I'm running a Linksys 350n with no issues right now. When I first got the new MBP installed it's network would come and go, but I've since corrected it via the router's network broadcasting settings. I have three laptops connected, Dell Inspiron, G4 Ibook and the new Mac Book Pro.

19. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

yup. that's the same router I use and I never miss a connection between it and my MBP.

20. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i have a netgear rangemax N MIMO router.
    works great with my MBP.

when i opened the box last week (MBP)
    it connected to the router with ease..
    i just typed the passkey once and up to now, i don't have any problems..
    zero!

21. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

whats the model number of your router?

22. Sinsocal macrumors newbie

I have been using the Netgear WNDR 3300 for about two weeks now and have no problems with my MBP. It is a newer router so I am not sure of availability oversees yet. The good thing about this router is that it is dual band so the N and G networks don't mix. I have my MBP on the 5ghz N network and the rest of the devices on the 2.4ghz G network.