Wireless NAS drives (That aren't routers)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by grumpythedwarff, Mar 12, 2013.

1. grumpythedwarff macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for a NAS drive that connects to my existing wireless network via 802.11n. It cannot connect via ethernet or USB to any other device as I want it to be in the loft where it is unlikely to be stolen in the event of a burglary.

I thought something like this would be easy to find, but I can only find drives that either plug directly into a router or that are routers themselves (like a time capsule). I don't want to have to go through the pain of building and maintaining a custom file server, but it would appear this is currently my only option.

Could anyone suggest any relevant products that would help me? All I really want is an HDD with a wireless interface rather than USB or Ethernet...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

or you could get a NAS with wired etherent and an airport express (or something similar) to connect it to your wireless network.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is what I do. Since a NAS has to be plugged into a router, my airport extreme allows my computers to connect wirelessly to the net and to the NAS. Speeds are down quite a bit when I connect to my Qnap wirelessly as opposed to gigabit ethernet but that's to be expected.

6. grumpythedwarff thread starter macrumors newbie

The synology is the sort of thing I am after, but its far too expensive.
    The gaming adapter could work, but would need to be an 802.11n version.
    It seems to me that there is simply a gap in the market here...

7. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

What sort of NAS do you want and how much do you want to spend ?
    If you could have a wireless connected USB drive in the attic would that suffice ?

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I actually think it's pretty cheap for what it offers. Sure it's not a single-disk, single purpose device and that's what makes it cost more.

There are other, dumber, options out there:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-301932EK-Wireless-Space-1TB/dp/B0041HSCLM for example.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Also note that wireless NAS tends to be much lower performance than wired NAS. You can usually close to double your throughput simply by wiring the NAS to your WAP/router.

If performance is important at all route some Cat5 into the loft and connect it that way. Then you could get away with something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Network-Attached/dp/B00499DMRQ/

B

10. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can get a refurb airport express for $69 from apple.

it's got wireless N,
    and if you wanted since it will be in the ceiling, you could mount an amp and some ceiling mount speakers close to it, and have it do double duty.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Plenty of 802.11n gaming adapters out there. I don't see it as a gap in the market; quite the opposite. By limiting yourself to only NAS devices with built-in wireless (rather than just using an adapter) you're excluding a ton of good products with features you may not get if you focus on only solutions with integrated wifi.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The single bay Synology like the DS112j supports a handful of USB WiFi adapters.

Another faster option might be a pair Ethernet over power adapters.

13. grumpythedwarff thread starter macrumors newbie

Hadn't thought of powerline, that may be the best of both worlds.

14. Ifti macrumors 68000

They work pretty well. I have reviewed a set from WD in my youtube channel in the past, and they worked just like a normal Ethernet wired connection ;)