Wireless Network between 2 Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Beliblis, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Beliblis macrumors regular

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

What are you trying to accomplish by having a wireless ad-hoc network between the 2 macs?

3. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to copy files between the two computers. Ideally, without being restricted to just the "shared" folder. I used to work in a company environment (long, long time ago... Mac OS 9, late 90s) where we used to access each other's Macintoshes (and our server).
    What's the equivalent of that today?

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

If you have a wifi network to connect to, you can share files using Airdrop.

5. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. But that way, I can't copy files to a specific location on the other machine. Only to the Download folder.
    Basically, I'd like to access the other machine's user folder like a normal hard drive. (Of course, depending on the file sharing settings for each individual folder). How can I do that?

6. Beliblis thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind. Figured it out (although with small limitation).
    In Finder, I went to Go > Network.

However, although I did enter a username & password under the other Mac's System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing> Users, I can only access that Mac by entering that Mac's username & password. (Meaning: I can't access it under the username I've added, and also not, as "guest").

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Look into SFTP or SCP. Both will do what you want without needing to create an ad hoc network.