Wireless Network.Internet Provider

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martymar112, Apr 29, 2012.

1. martymar112 macrumors member

First off i need some help. i live in Jacksonville florida and i am looking for a good internet provider. Right now i have AT&T and i am not happy with them. i am having problems with there internet. When i am working on my computers some times it will stop working and has to wait for about ten minutes before it comes back. I am not sure if its the modem or AT&T. What i really want to do is get a good modem to run my Imac, Macbook pro, 2 Iphones, and my PS3.

does anyone have any ideas how i should go about doing this? what modems to buy and how to set it up. Do i need to get a wireless router? or do some modems come with wireless? do i need to set up a network in my house? if so any info on that. thanks again for all the help and if you need more info let me know.

thanks again
    Michael

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Modems are indistinguishable from one another in terms of quality. It sounds like you are having connection problems. What kind of internet service do you have - DSL, cable, other?

3. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Is your AT&T service DSL or cable? DSL sucks unless you rarely use the Internet. Do you currently have AT&T for your home phone? I only ask about the home phone because perhaps they are offering you a phone/DSL package deal for having both. What speeds are you subscribed to and what do you pay? Do you have Comcast in your area? The Comcast Internet speeds for standard service is 15MB. You can buy your own modem or modem/router combo or you can rent a modem or wireless gateway from Comcast.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Don't put the cart before the horse. Look into providers in your area and pick the one that sounds most reliable. Then worry about the rest. Why is this in the MBP subforum?