Wireless network issue connection timeout

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kourousafama, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kourousafama macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a macbook 2.4.
    I used to connect wirelessly through a router. I can't connect anymore with my macbook, I have a message "connection timeout" when I choose appropriate network and type the code (I tried both WPA and WEP). The thing is I can connect without any issue onto the same network using a pc.

I have also a partition with Windows vista on my macbook but still I can't go online.

Can anyone help? I have tried to switch on, switch off the router etc but still can't connect. I was able to connect in the past (3 weeks ago or so) although I always thought internet connection was slower on my macbook as compared to the pc.

Could anyone help with this issue?

Many thanks

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Turn off your AirPort.
    2. Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration and delete "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" and "preferences.plist" (make sure they are removed from the folder)
    3. Empty trash and restart computer
    4. try to connect again

3. kourousafama thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have followed the steps you have mentioned but still have the same error message "connection timeout"...

When I turn airport on, it doesn't even show the network I want to connect to. I sometimes have to keep refreshing to find the right network...

Do you know where my problem might come from?

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, this looks like it may be a hardware problem...seeing as your MacBook won't connect on either OS, but other computers still can. You may just want to try taking your MacBook to somewhere with some free WiFi and see if it connects there. If you get no results on another network, I'd say you'll have to give Apple Care a call, or run over to an Apple Store.

5. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

6. kourousafama thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't tried to change the wireless channel. How do you do that?

It's weird because I have the same problem with my iphone. I can't connect the iphone to the wifi network either. But my pc has no problem connecting.

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

it should be somewhere in your routers setup page. look on your router, there should be the router's ip address which you type into safari. then it will probably ask you for your admin username and password, which will probably be on the router too (my guess is admin and password :p)

then from there search around until you find wireless channel.

i had the same issue with connection timeouts, randomly when the router had been working fine for a few months. this is how i sorted the problem. hope it helps.

8. kourousafama thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been to a public area where I could connect to a wifi network without any issue. So I guess there must be something wrong with my wireless network at home. Do you know what else could explain that?

The other thing I found when I am able to connect to a public wireless network is that windows runs faster than mac in term of internet speed. I have 2 operating systems installed on my macbook: mac os leopard and windows vista ultimate. When I surf on the web using internet explorer on windows vista, it's clearly faster than when I surf using safari on mac os leopard. How is that possible? I thought mac was faster than windows...

Cheers

9. kourousafama thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems to be a problem with the OS. I could connect with the ethernet cable without any issue. But using the wireless is just impossible. Has anyone had the same issue and know how to solve it?

I have been to the shop where I bought the Macbook and they told me it's a general problem with this version of the operating system.

Any help would be much appreciated.