Wireless network issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacManX, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MacManX macrumors member

I have a network of Macs at home, both wired and wireless. When one of the laptops have been in sleep mode, it takes forever to 'find' the network. Why?
    Sometimes you can see the symbols of the other computers in Finder - in some cases they won't show at all. If you hit cmd-K, nothing happens.
    It can take up to 30 minutes before you can access other computers on the network. This is unacceptable. One laptop is a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6 and the other one is a MacBook Air with Mac OS X 10.7
    Please help! I need this fixed!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

On the affected Mac open System Preferences->Network pane. In the Network pane highlight your Airport connection and then at the top of the Network pane select the 'Location' drop-down. Then use that drop-down to make a new Location calling it what ever you want. After that re-join you wireless network and once you joined and are on your wireless network click on the 'apply' button in the Network pane to save this new Location.

This should reset your network card. Don't worry, it will act the same as Automatic and should fix your problem.

3. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I tried this on both laptops, but it made no difference. It still takes a very long time to access other computers. All you get is "Connection failed". :(
    BTW, I'm using a Linksys Cisco WAP610-N access point.