Wireless Network Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AVongsana, May 14, 2009.

1. AVongsana macrumors newbie

I seem to be having some troubles with my network =(

When I turn the macbook on, I get an IP from my linksys router. 192.168.1.104, but I can't seem to do anything. I can't load webpages, MSN won't work, even my widgets dont work. I cant get into my router, or ping anything. Please help? I have a new aluminum macbook, running leopard 10.5. I use bootcamp with windows xp, and I am able to surf the internet on XP which leads me to believe it's software related?

Thanks in advance

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

is your IP static or dynamic?
    how many other devices do you have on the network?
    have you tried wired on the mac side?

just trying to gather some more details

3. AVongsana thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you mean by static or dynamic? My ip stays the same from the ISP, and on the network .. for the most part my IP stays the same. sometmes I might get 192.168.1.100 ...
    There are 2 wireless devices and 2 wired on my router.
    Wired on the the mac side gives me access to the internet

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

by stati or dynamic i mean how are the IP addresses assigned by the router. static means that you are given a set address - it will never change unless you decide to change it. dynamic means the router will give out the address when available. if you have two computers that both have the same static IP address then there will be major stuff ups because data packets will be sent to the wrong computers etcetc.

if wired gives you access then id say there is a IP conflict. try assign your IP address dynamically by going to System Prefs->Network->selecting Airport-> and configure using DHCP...

see how you go :)

5. AVongsana thread starter macrumors newbie

The router assigns static IPs. I've checked all the other computers and client table and no other devices have the same IP.

Odd thing is, I let the computer sit for 20 minutes and then the internet started working .... ? If I restart or Sleep/resume, it will stop working again ....

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

a router cannot assign static IPs, they can only assign dynamic ones. a computer can connect using either dynamic (gets the IP that the router gives out) or static (uses its own IP and hopes that no other computers are using it). are you sure that there are no conflicts?

7. AVongsana thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no conflicts. When I go into windows, I am assigned the same IP and am able to surf the web, but in OSX I am not. I am starting to think a virus/trojan? My gf did click on one of those msn virus links ... =\

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok just making sure that its not a conflict :p

i doubt that it is a virus or trojan. they are VERY rare on macintosh systems, it doesnt seem likely because you can use ethernet and it works without problems. the solution doesnt seem very obvious at this point in time...hmmmm

9. AVongsana thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the process of backing up for a reformat :(

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL ok thats a bit over the top IMO but see how it goes. are there any other networks you can try to connect to? i would run a hardware test before reinstalling (comes on the install disk).