wireless network question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dan0903, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Dan0903 macrumors member

My new MBP came today!!

anyway, i have found that my bedroom is just out of reach of the wireless router (which is the other side of the house).

Was wondering if theres anyway i can get something that (im not a 'techie', so no-one take the mick if this does exist) picks up the wireless connection and re-sends it (i.e. making the wireless point more in the middle of my house).

Any help would be very appreciated.

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Absolutrly. They are called a bunch of different things - usually called Range Extenders. All the major wireless companies make them.

SCR

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you have an Airport network, an AirPort Express would solve this problem very easily.

TEG

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

As SCR says, there are range extenders.

You might want to look into upgrading the router though to the 802.11 N specification.

Your Mac supports N and it's got a far greater range than a G or a B router.

I used to run a G router and an extender, but when I upgraded to the N specification I didn't need an extender anymore.

Just look on your favorite computer retailers website, you'll see the different specifications listed there.

Cheers.

5. Dan0903 thread starter macrumors member

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

True, although a bit expensive solution. You can also use an Airport Express with any router, not just another airport. Perhaps just get a new antennae for your router, or look into the Reach Extended-DSL feature with that router. I don't know what that is but looks like it could help.

7. Dan0903 thread starter macrumors member

This sounds like a good solution, i'd like to use in order to play PS3 online and Xbox online, as well as for use with my ipod and MBP.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106821

Anyone know if this would work?