Wireless network security

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    I searched the forums for my title topic and didn't find anything to answer my question, so here goes:
    I have never used a wireless connection and wonder about the security, such as when I do online banking. I am having to move soon, and their internet connection site in the room would be very inconvenient to use. I'm thinking on getting an Airport Extreme base station for my internet access. I would be using the .n protocol as it is the fastest from what I've read. How would I know that no one is "eavesdropping" on my connection? Is there a way to make it secure?
    As an aside, I don't want to wind up pulling out my hair. Are wireless connections worthwhile?
    Thank you for any help/advice or for pointing me in the right direction for finding out more about this!
    Morod

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're going to lock down your wireless network, this is what I recommend doing:

Use 802.11n only mode (if all computers support it).
    Enable access control by MAC address, and limit to only those computers authorized by you to connect.
    Turn off all broadcasting features (make the network closed, don't allow remote diagnostics, etc.)
    Use WPA2 security, if all computers support it.
    Make sure the wireless network password is easy to remember but hard for others to guess.

3. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

and don't use the WEP encryption as it's easy to hack. I use WPA2 but locking access is a good idea.
    Alan

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

wrldwzrd89 writes:
    If you're going to lock down your wireless network, this is what I recommend doing:

Use 802.11n only mode (if all computers support it).
    Enable access control by MAC address, and limit to only those computers authorized by you to connect.
    Turn off all broadcasting features (make the network closed, don't allow remote diagnostics, etc.)
    Use WPA2 security, if all computers support it.
    Make sure the wireless network password is easy to remember but hard for others to guess.

Thank you; unfortunately your response brings questions. My network will consist of one Al iMac, one USB printer and the Airport Extreme. My backup drive is a f/w device connected that way to the iMac.
    802.11n only mode: Is that done on only the AE or on the iMac as well?
    Access control by MAC address: Again, on the AE only or on the iMac as well?
    Broadcasting features: Sorry for the dumb reply, but doesn't the iMac and AE have to talk to each other via broadcasting? Anyway, is this done on the AE only or iMac as well?
    WPA2 security: Where do I find WPA2 to turn it on?
    Password will be no problem.
    Again, thank you for your help, and I'm sorry I asked more questions because of it. I'm just very new to this.
    Morod

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

All the settings I mention are done on the AE - but you use software on the iMac to configure it, if that makes sense. Yes, the iMac and AE communicate wirelessly through broadcast - what I'm saying is to turn off all unneccesary broadcasting, to make your network harder to find. To turn on WPA2, open AirPort Utility, find your base station, click Manual Setup, then click AirPort. In the Security section of this tab there is an option for the security mode. It defaults to Off. Change this to WPA2.

6. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

This now makes perfect sense! Thank you very much for your time and knowledge.
    Morod