Wireless network setup for a large home

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brainwave89, Jun 9, 2011.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

My friend has house with four floors and owns three Macs. His ISP comes in the basement and has ethernet connections on the second, third floor and fourth floor. Only one of the Macs does not have an ethernet connection and that is on the second floor. He currently has an older Netgear wireless router with two Netgear powerline adapters to extend his signal.

I was thinking that a simple solution would be to get an Apple Extreme and at least one Airport Express to create another wireless network on the second floor for the wireless iMac. There is a possibility that a second Airport Express might be needed.

Money is not an object. What do you think of this solution? Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If he has ethernet connections at each floor, he should be attaching routers to those locations rather than using a powerline setup

3. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you Peteman100.

Good point.

Knowing the current wireless router is more than three years old, should I consider just replacing the router with a new router such as a Linksys WRT54GL and then add the same router on the second floor?

4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

You should be replacing the old one with high-end wireless-N routers. Your friend seems like he can afford good gear. I would suggest using one of the routers listed on this chart:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-popular

Or if the guy is an Apple fan, the AEBS is pretty decent as well.

5. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again Peteman100.

Normally, I would be more concerned about the main wireless router, in this case I am more concerned about if I should place a router on the second floor or just get an Airport Express. Decisions...decisions.

6. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Using all Apple Airports makes it so easy to set up... I set up a house with a Time Capsule and 6 Airport expresses... the network works awesome and the client has speakers all over the house.