Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noodle654, Jan 25, 2008.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hi guys,

I have a Linksys WRT300N which as been working OK for the past 2 years. I need some help though. On most of m computers, I keep loosing packets from my router which is a sign of some sort of interference. I have no clue what it is though. My MacBook Pro has very little reception even though my MB has plenty of reception (same goes for the 360). I would really like to get more range and speed in my room without moving the router (its in the center of the house). Is there a way I can fix any of this? I am on channel 11 and I have made my router Wireless G only because Mixed was not working well with my MBP. How can I fix my MBP dropping Airport out of nowhere? It works AMAZINGLY about 5 feet out of my door to my room.

Any tips?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you changed your channels on the router different from 11? Any cordless phones, microwaves, other wireless interference. Try moving your router if you can. Maybe install a wireless sniffer to see what other networks are out there...

3. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

My cordless phones run off of 900MHz and 5.6GHz or something like that. The Microwave is downstairs and has never affected it. Can you suggest any other channels that will work? I really can't move my router because my cable box is in this room. I was just at a friends how and his Linksys Wireless G is in his basement and I had full reception in his room fine. So my first guess is just bad settings on the router.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Most people in your neighborhood will most likely be using channel 8 as it is the usual default from what I have seen. Try 11

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you read his post. Already had it on 11.

To the OP my suggestion would be channel 3 or keep changing until you find a good one. Or download a wireless sniffer to see what everyone else is using and keep aleast 3 channels apart from them.